Saturday, June 16, 2012

Done In?

I am going to admit that an eight pound pork roast and a pound of beans have about done me in for the day. Woody found Boston butt pork roasts at a good price yesterday. So he bought two...one is in the freezer, but the other got cut up and put in a pot and slow-cooked all afternoon on top of the stove to make a favorite of ours...Bragg's Barbecue...or an easier name to call it...pulled pork. It is yummy, but takes quite a bit of effort...especially getting the meat separated from the bone and cut up to go in the pot...then just add several other ingredients and cook it slowly on top of the stove for three hours...while cooking there is a time of skimming fat and then at the end breaking up the chunks of meat...that last part isn't hard as at that point it just falls apart. I started the day preparing a pound of navy beans that I had soaked over night. I added lots of ingredients to them to turn them into my mother's Boston Baked Beans. They cook in a slow oven for six to eight hours. Needless to say my day has been spent in the kitchen. Woody had the kitchen all cleaned up and ready for me this morning...you should see it now...even though he and I have both worked on dishes, etc. throughout the day. What we have now are the dishes that were on the stove and in the oven as we have put the prepared food into something else to go into the refrigerator. So several big pots and I don't think that I have the energy to go back in the kitchen tonight! Woody took two four-mile walks early and then later walked to the library. His sinuses are still bothering him...which means that his teeth are still bothering him today. This afternoon he watched a couple of the DVDs that he checked out of the library. I am about finished with the book that I have been reading over the last few days. I think that I will finish it this evening unless I fall asleep...whether to read in or doze...the upstairs recliner has my name on it for the evening! I'm definitely feeling the effects of a long cooking day. I had planned to do several other things today...but they will have to wait for another day!

1 comment:

  1. Any chance you would share your Mom's baked beans recipe? We love them and I loved her!

    ReplyDelete