Monday, June 25, 2012

Effort Worth It!

Another hot, hot, hot day.  It is almost 7pm and still 91F.  About the only things happy in my gardens are the spiders...they are definitely "growing" webs everywhere!  Today I got up before 7am...at least slept in a little later than the last couple of days!  I headed straight to the kitchen and started in cooking and didn't leave the kitchen till around 2pm...too long!  But the outcome of a new recipe was worth the effort.  I made "No Noodle Zucchini Lasagna!"  The noodles were thin slices of zucchini...then a meat sauce, spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, and mozzarella cheeses along with some of our fresh grown basil, oregano and parsley (and I even added a yellow squash into the sauce).  Anyway...it turned out really tasty. The zucchini makes great noodles.  We have such an abundance of zucchini and squash coming in that one has to find something to do with all of them!  I also made a really cool and refreshing gelatin salad...what we refer to these days as yellow jello (except it can't go by that name this time as I had to use lime jello).  The way you make is dissolve the gelatin in the the amount of boiling water that the pkg. calls for and then the cold water called for on the package is pureed cucumber and enough cold water to make that amount. Stir it all together and pop it in the fridge to gel.  The cucumber rises to the top and you have a two layered salad...or you can let it set and stir it to have it all combine...I'm too lazy to wait these days and I like the look of the two layers in a glass dish that I have.  Anyway...it has been a cooking day today and I am very tired.  I ended up resting in the recliner the rest of the afternoon...but never did nap...surprisingly enough.  Woody walked six miles early this morning and then ran an errand late in the afternoon...the rest of the day he has stayed inside.  He has helped me keep the kitchen cleaned up and he sliced the zucchini noodles. Oh, yes, for lunch Woody made an Italian yellow squash/zucchini/onion casserole.  Like I said...squash in abundance...

No comments:

Post a Comment