Thursday, July 5, 2012

Another hot and dry (so far) day!

I just love the way the nuthatches get to the suet cage...instead of flying to it like the other birds, they climb down the chain.  I finally managed to capture one with the camera.  I was out by our mailbox saw that the nuthatches were having their turn with the suet and I just happened to have my little camera in my purse since I had just come home.

Woody got up early and went on a four mile walk.  He picked blackberries again on this walk.  He said that due to the extreme heat and dry conditions that they were just about gone...bushes, berries, etc. drying up.  We have gotten a lot of severe thunderstorm warnings this afternoon and evening...but so far not a drop of rain.  We do need rain so badly.  I have done some cooking in preparation for a big day of cooking tomorrow.  Woody went to the grocery store so I could get started on that cooking.  As soon as I finish blogging, I will go downstairs and get my beans soaking.  I plan to make my mother's recipe for Boston Baked Beans for our Saturday July 4th/Elijah birthday celebration.  I took a little snooze this afternoon and was awakened hearing the sweet little voice of Esther.  Nathan, Kathy and children have been away for more than three weeks.  It wasn't too long till a Graham and Abigail came over to see us.  They headed back home quickly as they were helping to get ready for supper company!  Can you imagine...being away for more than three weeks and having company for supper just a few hours after you return?!?! Elijah made his way over a little after Esther, Graham and Abigail left and he stayed and played a while, then I went next door to see the ones (Joy and Isaac) who hadn't graced our door! They have all grown (or so it seems) since we saw them last.  They have been doing their juggling ministry at summer camps and seem to have had a wonderful time...swimming, canoeing, etc. mixed in with their juggling! 

Woody and I are both reading quite a bit at the moment...both of us have good books.  Woody usually has a couple of books going at the same time...often a non-fiction or two and a fiction.  Well, at the moment I am in the midst of two...something that I rarely do.  But I had started a book and then the library called and said that they had a book that I had requested...so I couldn't resist starting the one they called about and I was into the other enough that I really didn't want to put it aside...so I'm reading a couple of chapters in one and then a couple in the other.  They are both fiction...and both a mystery book...hope that I don't get the plots confused!

I made Eggplant Parmasan for supper...yum...and, again, the iPad app worked very well for viewing my recipe.  I was glad that I used the iPad recipe as I had left out the sliced tomatoes...opps...from the recipe so that is fixed. Well, off to soak beans!  Lots of cooking and cleaning to do tomorrow.  We will have a houseguest starting Saturday.  Erin will be staying with us for several days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment