Thursday, July 26, 2012

Grammy's "Attic" Day...At Last!


Graham has worked so hard helping me go through the closet that has become like an attic.  His favorite find was his Aunt Melany's piccolo and my flute...though the piccolo was by far his favorite and the last time that I saw him he was working away on learning fingering of notes.  He likes how small it is...even with the case it fit in the pocket of his shorts!  We really didn't take the time to photograph all that we took out of this closet and then put back...but it is now neat and tops of objects, etc. have had dust removed and some of the drawers have been rearranged!  The girls came over mid morning and checked out some of the dolls (three different Shirley Temple dolls and a couple American Girl dolls...along with a lot of things that go with them.  We did decide to put away the American Girl tea party table and chairs and accessories and get out two of the American girl desks.  So the upstairs hall corner has been converted from tea room to school room.  Graham and I almost had things back in the closet before lunch and not long after lunch was over we had the girls come back to play school.  They spent a good part of the afternoon over here...after the newness of playing school wore off, they went downstairs to watch a VHS tape that I had found in the closet.  I am still having to go through quite a few bags of books that I had stored in there from the church library (for one reason or another). I am determined that those bags and boxes will NOT go back in the closet.  Graham figured out a different way to put the stackable drawers back in the closet (I have two stacks) so that all can be accessed without having to move anything.(Plus in the process he has created a new place for "him" to hide when they play hide and seek!) It was a very successful and I think fun day looking through things that belonged to my parents, me, his parents, my aunt, my cousin, etc.  There's lots of memories stored in there for me!  I found a bunch of old cards that I had saved for one reason or another (Woody will tell you that it is because I am a pack rat!).  I plan to get rid of them, but first want to read some of the notes since many of the senders are no longer with us...and back then folk included notes with their cards!  So I have some reading cut out for me.  Abigail called and told me that she had found a Shirley Temple movie (Heidi).  One of the Shirley Temple dolls has outfits that came from about seven of her movies.  Really cute outfits.  We didn't try them on today...that was left for another Grammy's Attic Day!  What do you think of the haircut that Graham showed up with last night!?!  In the top photo, Esther is behind Graham hugging one of the dolls that I played with as a young girl...the other dolls in the pictures I inherited from my Aunt Lois.

Woody got up early did the crossword puzzle, read, and walked four miles.  I had a rough night sleeping...so woke up way before Woody, but finally got back to sleep and slept till I heard Graham's little voice.  Graham and I went down and had breakfast (English muffins and scrambled eggs)...Woody had had his bowl of oatmeal earlier. Then we got busy.  I had asked Woody last night if he would prepare his veggie burritos for our lunch. So after a busy morning we had a good lunch and then went back to work. I got to hold Isaac for a little while late this afternoon.  He is just full of smiles and giggles!  I don't know about anyone else...but I am a bit tired this evening!  All-in-all a very productive day! And, thus ends our first Grammy's Attic Day! I think worth the anticipation! I'm going to go collapse in a recliner with a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment