Thursday, October 4, 2012

Halfway Home!

We are halfway home on the highway and with Woody's melanoma tumors.  We got great news from Woody's research team...the tumors that they are watching continue to shrink! (Around 50% smaller than prior to his procedure.) Praising God for that good news.

I have been sneezing my head off, coughing, blowing my nose, etc. since a little after I blogged last night.  I am quite allergic to feathers and I had requested a feather-free room.  When we headed into our room the feather pillows were being replaced with those filled with poly-fill.  Well, I didn't think anymore about it till I got to sniffling an hour or so after we checked in.  Well, probably an hour after that I decided to flop on the bed...and it dawned on me...since I was continuing to get worse allergy symptoms...that perhaps they had neglected to remove the down comforter inside the duvet...sure enough!  I called the desk and they said that they would take care of it right away.  So I left and went downstairs to sit in the waiting room till it was finished.  Well, I went back up 30-45 minutes later and the task was taken care of.  BUT...there was enough feather dander (or whatever) and I continued to get worse.  I woke up in the middle of the night and took a shower...got dressed and headed downstairs to finish out the night reading in the lobby.  I quizzed Woody about how they had changed out the comforter...they took out the feather comforter...but used the same duvet cover...ummmmmmm...not a good plan!  I talked to them at the desk this morning and told them that they needed to reeducate their housekeeping staff.  When we told her how it had been done...she said that the duvet cover and down filler should have been taken out intact and then a blanket brought for the bed.  The way it was done probably had particles from the feathers floating around in the air, a few hours ago Woody stopped and we got Benadryl...so with that and my usual allergy meds...perhaps...I will be doing better soon!  I have hated coughing and sneezing and blowing all day at NIH...a place where just about everyone is avoiding germs.  I'm sure that many wondered what I was doing there today!


We headed to NIH on the first shuttle (6:30am) of the day...just wanted to get away from hotel. This is a hotel that we had stayed at numerous times and had never had problems before when I requested a feather-free room.  Anyway, we got things underway for the voucher.  Our research nurse hadn't put in okay for two nights in a hotel...so had to go through a few loops for that...but did manage.  Woody picked up the check right after the clinic time.  We met Woody's new female Fellow.  she seems very nice...she is our fourth Fellow...they rotate every six months. she talked to us and thenthe head doc came in and talked and then we were out of there.  I stopped at the desk to get the next appointment making process rolling (she'll email us the dates and time).  He will go back in four months...we had hoped that perhaps another month or so would have separated us for appointments...but not yet.  We were on the road a little before 3pm (Eastern time).  We stopped a little after 9pm and are staying where we consider the halfway point between NIH and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment