Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A "Liquid Gold" Kind of Day

I guess I could say that tonight's title is a test for those of you who follow our blog fairly closely. I have mentioned "liquid gold" a time or two. What tonight's title means is that today was a day to make chicken broth/stock. Some cookbook or cooking show that I read/watched one time called stock "liquid gold" and we continue to call it that. I first stewed a chicken and then took the chicken out of the pot when it was cooked and left the liquid to simmer with celery, onion, garlic, carrot pieces for quite a few hours. Once the chicken cooled enough so I could debone it, I put the chicken pieces in a container to use in soup or a casserole and then added the bones back into the stock pot to simmer with the liquid and the veggies. Just before I left to work in the church library, I strained it. It is in the refrigerator and I will skim off the fat tomorrow and then freeze it in two cup portions...ready for various recipes that might call for it. Called "liquid gold" because of its VALUE when it is awaiting in the freezer for when the need for it arises. It just adds such a rich taste to so many dishes. I used the last of our "liquid gold" that was in the freezer the other day when I made our cabbage soup. I was glad Woody bought another chicken the other day. Another task for the day was to try to figure out what the problem was with our vacuum cleaner. I contacted Dyson last night describing the problem and what I had done to "fix" said problem. I actually got an email back last night and it wasn't just a generic email saying that they had gotten and would reply at a later time...it was from a real person with suggestions as to what to try. Well, I had already done most of what he said, but did what he said to do AGAIN. When I was still having a problem I emailed back again telling what I had done and that the vacuum was still doing the same thing and that it definitely wasn't a suction problem, etc. Well, I got an email back within an hour saying that it looked like it was a problem with the trigger head and that they would be sending a new one to us...my mouth just about dropped open I was so surprised. I thought that I was going to have to replace a part but never dreamed that they would do it at no cost to us. Some companies are so nice to deal with...looks like Dyson is one of the nice ones! Now I just hope that when it comes that it does solve the problem! On my way to the church library I stopped at the public library...hard to get the librarian in me away from a library of any kind...one of my favorite places to spend time. I needed to return some items due and also needed to restock as we are now in a winter storm "WARNING" rather than the "ADVISORY" that we were in last night. Warning means that it REALLY is on the way! So ice, sleet, frozen rain, and snow...is on the way once again. When I left for the library a little before 1pm it was in the "balmy" mid-60's. Right now as I type Weatherbug says that it is 37...so temps are dropping. We're only supposed to get to the mid-20's tomorrow for a high. Brrrrrrrrr...AGAIN!!!!! This too will pass as is noted by tonight's picture...I spotted these at the end of our driveway as I was leaving for the two libraries so snapped a quick picture in the rain. It is now raining quite hard...but as the colder temperatures arrive it will be turning over to frozen precip of some kind or another. Woody walked 4 miles this morning when the temperatures were at their warmest of the day. While I was at the library he did his weekly Krogering. He is still coughing, still fatigues easily, etc. but I know that he is happy to be back to his walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment