Monday, March 2, 2015

Forbidden Fruit!

Tonight's picture was literally a forbidden fruit in my house when I was growing up. My father was very allergic to them...just mentioning the word "avocado" made him feel sick. He had to be very careful in Mexican restaurants that he didn't get anything on his plate that had even come in contact with anything to do with an avocado. For years I never even tried them knowing how sick they made my father...only in recent years did I decide to give them a try and found out that I love them. The other half of the one in the picture was my breakfast this morning. Yum! Now don't offer me tamales of any sort or salmon...those are the bane of my existence and "make me sick as a dog" (my father's terms after a bout with coming in contact with disguised/hidden avocado). I have had a rather lazy day. I have read, worked a little on next week's Sunday School lesson, talked on the phone with my sister and a couple of friends, and made soup...Cabbage and Polish Sausage. I was going to sew, but so far just haven't even felt like doing that. I did finish the top for Isaac over the weekend. Woody was a bit more ambitious. He went to Life Care Center and had Bible study with a patient there. He hadn't been there in a few weeks either due to weather (ice and snow) or the fact that they had a "stomach bug" go around at Life Care that put them in a "sort of" quarantine for a time. Then this afternoon he walked to the pharmacy to pick up one of his prescriptions. He has read, watched TV and rested...oh, and he even took out the compost to the compost pile. He hasn't even felt like doing that these last few days. We are both still counting on a bit warmer temperatures...though they have definitely risen from last week. BUT there is a prediction for more frozen precipitation on Wednesday. Oh, boy...(not)! My last words tonight will be to wish my favorite (and, only) sister a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! She has decided that she doesn't like this birthday (a new decade for her...she is joining me) so she thinks that she will become a perpetual "29"...that was what our father stayed throughout his life once he got beyond a certain age...he would always say "this is the __ anniversary of my 29th birthday" or that he was "29+tax." Whatever she chooses to say her age is...she still had a birthday today and for about a week, she and I are "only" six years apart! So there you have several memories of my father on this the 31st anniversary of my sister's 29th birthday! (I think that I got the math right!)

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe your "little" sister is...well, you know! It seems like yesterday, she was 12!!! Time flies!!

    ReplyDelete