Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Bread's Rising!

By the time that the computer uploaded the photos from the camera...tonight's photo and title was in the past as...the bread is now baking! I guess Thanksgiving cooking is underway. This is "Savory Stuffing Bread" to use to make our dressing for our family Thanksgiving feast. I will cube this bread and dry/toast it in the oven and it will be my "Pepperidge Farm" stuffing for my dressing recipe. I guess ours is dressing rather than stuffing since I don't actually stuff the bird with it. Dressing vs. stuffing is always a big topic of conversation on cooking shows at this time of the year. I have more time than most to get ready for our feast day as we don't celebrate till Saturday. So I am plugging along with my decorating and getting underway with a little of the cooking. I don't have as much to make this year as I have farmed some of the dishes out to the Proctors and the neighbor Dorrells. I have made great progress on my decorating. Just moments ago I packed up the last of the boxes that were on the dining room table. I have washed all the cups and saucers and have them all back on the little decorative shelf. They look so pretty and shiny! The angels have all found places up on top of the china cabinet. The only "major" job leftin the dining room is to polish the spoons in the spoon rack. I have them lined up on the table and the rack is all dusted...now to go get my fingers grubby with polish. Nathan and Kathy are entertaining Kathy's family for Thanksgiving. Since they would have quite a few more than usual around their table, Woody offered to make Peasant Salad aka Soggy Bread Salad (what Nathan named it quite a few years ago). It is a raw vegetable salad with feta cheese crumbled in it and a hearty loaf of bread cubed and tossed in along with balsamic vinegar for the dressing...very tasty. He got that made and one of the children carried it over to their house and they had it as a side with tonight's dinner. Woody got the kitchen all cleaned up following his cooking so I could attack the bread recipe. Graham came over mid afternoon needing assistance in sewing patches on his uniform. He is a new cadet in the Civil Air Patrol USAF Auxiliary. He is quite excited over his uniforms...so far he just has his camouflage "BDU" (Battle Dress Uniform). My next job besides probably sewing on more patches will be to teach him how to iron a shirt using spray starch! After getting the three patches sewn on, then I set to work on making the bread. The house is smelling great...and I just checked and it was ready to come out of the oven...so one item finished...off the check list...which I haven't even started yet! In the late afternoon, Woody walked to the Post Office and then to the prayer room. He is now home and we are both settling in for another quiet evening in this Dorrell household. I guess I am off to rest for a few minutes before I attack the spoons. That job will be very satisfying once they are finished as there "should" be a big difference in appearance once I have gotten after them with the silver polish...at the moment they are almost black...I haven't had the time or energy to polish them lately and it shows! They usually get a good polishing "at least" at this time of the year. My other task of the evening is to get items onto the grocery list for Woody to get on his weekly Krogering adventure. So guess I had best get busy so I can get those two tasks completed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment