Thursday, August 17, 2017

Mad Scientist?!?






Elijah had his long time with me this morning and we started doing science experiments.  He got candles to burn under water, made rice dance, and found out how to keep a balloon from breaking when it is held directly over a flame (put water in it)!  The bottom picture shows what happens to a balloon when there is no water in it...a big pop and balloon pieces flying! The rest had their school times too...so another busy morning...and the first full week of Grammy School is behind us!

Woody walked his four-miles early this morning. Joseph spent time with Goosey (Woody) after his school time as he has done each school day.  Isaac continues to love to sew on buttons. Whenever he gets a spare moment, he shows up to sew one more.  He has quite a well supplied sewing basket (little scissors, a pin cushion, needle threader, needles, buttons, thread, fabric pieces) and is really loving it.  I guess I have created a sewing monster out of him...at least for the moment till the newness wears off.  I asked him today why he was loving it so much and he said, "Well, I had to wait all that time till I was in kindergarten to be able to sew buttons!"  I think that he has sewn on 18 buttons in the short time since he had his first lesson!  He has sewn on two-hole buttons, four-hole buttons and just tried a shank button for the first time.  Anyone need any buttons sewn on anything?!? The button-sewing expert lives right next door to me! Elijah was funny when Isaac was trying to impress him with his button sewing skills.  Elijah just smiled and then said, but I know another faster way to sew them on...on the sewing machine!  I'm not quite ready for Isaac to try the sewing machine method! Sewing machine sewing starts in first grade...do you think that he will be able to wait that long?!?

Today the second video lesson in my sewing group was published and I enjoyed watching it after school was over.  This time it is about sewing piping and the teacher shared several tricks that she uses that do seem like they would make it much easier to do.  I haven't had time to try her methods out yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment