Thursday, June 14, 2018

Small Things!

When I decided what I would title tonight's blog, I thought about this picture of how small the colt looks when taken through the fence like this.

For me today has been about "small things."  I have been doing various small tasks throughout the day.  Its small things like this that get me ready to head on into my next sewing project.  I put away small things that I had used during my last sewing projects...sewing machine feet, spools of thread, scissors, rulers, cords, laces, pin cushions and pins and needles. I even did a small amount of dusting!
.  I reclaimed pins from the girls' pin cushions as for some reason "my" pins end up being used when they are using my cutting table and then get taken out of their project when they are sewing and put into their pin cushions.  I hardly had any of my flower head pins...which are my longest pins.  The pictured pin cushion usually just has my white glass head pins in it and sewing machine needles that still have some use in them.  So all the flower head and button head pins are now in the pin cushion on my cutting table, the glass head pins are in this pin cushion on the sewing machine and in the one that is on the ironing board.  I even divided the machine needles up on this one according to certain sizes and types.  Like I said...small things...things that aren't all that important, but things that I like to do once in a while...just to bring order back into my sewing life!  I also pulled out the storage bins that are under the bed in the guest room that contain leftovers of solid colored fabrics in one and stripes and plaids in the other one.  They had gotten quite messed up with the girls' and my last projects so I got them all refolded and sorted (sort of) according to color family.  Last but not least...I got out the fabric, pattern, thread, and buttons that I had hanging in the guest room closet to make myself a blouse.  I have now put that on the cutting table...am just looking at it from my recliner for a bit to make up my mind just how I am going to use it in the blouse.  It is an imported Italian striped shirting and it is pretty on both sides (dark on one side and light on the other)...trying to figure out where I will use one side as a contrast...whether I want the blouse to be mainly the dark side or the light side!  This is the last piece that I bought at a couture fabric store in AZ some years ago...VERY nice fabric.  The store is no longer in business...so I am a bit sad to use this last piece!  It was always fun to go to that store when visiting in AZ and splurge on some REALLY nice pieces of fabric.  Anyway...today has been a day of doing the "small things" that help me get ready to begin a new garment.  The ironing board is cleared off, the sewing cutting table is sort of cleared off (now it has the new fabric on it), and the sewing machine cabinet is "almost" cleared off (there are still a couple of spools of thread to put away and some pieces of stabilizer to relocate or throw away).  I also have a small machine embroidery project that I may do before getting underway with my blouse. The fabrics for that are on the cutting table also.  So...two sewing projects in my near future.

I paced myself on my small jobs...I would work for a while at rearranging things and then I would read a chapter and then back to a small job or two and then read another chapter.  I've been reading two different books off and on today...one e-book and one "real" book.

Woody got up earlier than I did this morning (and I was awake by 5am and read awhile before getting up to do small things!).  He was already gone on his walk when I woke up.  He said that he left around 4:30am.  He walked six miles in the cool of the day.  He has also worked quite a bit outside getting another flower bed ready for some new mulch.  I couldn't find him one time today when I needed to ask him something and finally found him in the garden that is next to the driveway...reason I couldn't find him = he was on the other side of the car hidden from my view from any of the windows in the house.  When it got a bit too hot to work outside he came in and read, worked crossword puzzles, watched TV, worked at the computer, etc...the "small things" that he does around here daily to fill in down time.

No comments:

Post a Comment