Monday, August 6, 2018

School's In!

Kathy got the "photo of the day" so I'm going to "borrow" it for tonight's blog.  Here are the neighbor grandchildren scholars! Graham = 11th grade, Abigail (bun) = 9th grade, Joy (hat) = 8th grade, Esther = 6th grade, Elijah = 4th grade, Isaac = 1st grade, and Joseph = pre-kindergarten.  Kathy has been homeschooling for twelve years!  All I can say is, "WOW!"  Abigail had her first day teaching at the Montessori school where I taught for 27 years and where Nathan and Melany went to preschool through kindergarten.  They just can't get rid of the Dorrells at Montessori!  I am anxious to talk to Abigail and see how her day went.  I didn't want to disturb her this afternoon since she still had her own school work to complete!  Learning how to teach at the Montessori school is one of Abigail's electives for her freshman year.

School went well over here, too.  Joseph is my only actual student this year.  He comes over for 45 min. to an hour four mornings a week and he has lessons with the Montessori equipment that I have.  He had a fun time and the time flew by without him realizing that we added a bit onto his time.  He only asked once if his time was about over and then we got busy and he worked the rest of the time.  Isaac has become one of my readers this year.  My readers come over individually and read out loud with me for twenty minutes four days a week.  My readers this year are Isaac, Elijah, Esther and Joy.  After the reading time, it is time for one of the children to have "Grammy long time." That means that they have an hour with me.  Today was Joy's long time and she and I are working on a project for her Aunt Melany's school.  Melany texted me with an "Oh, Mommy" the other day and I knew that she wanted me to do something!  She had seen bean bags with color words on them and made from that color.  She wants to use them to play a color game with her kindergarten children.  Melany is an art teacher at Barfield Elementary, a K-5 elementary school in Murfreesboro.  Anyway, I decided that this project would be good for Joy and me to do together.  Today we looked through my fabric scraps and found all the colors that we need and Joy began to cut out five-inch squares.  Next time we will use my embroidery machine and write the color words on them and then they will be ready to sew together.  Melany is going to stuff them with what she deems best...we just have to do the making.  There is also a drawstring bag that needs to be made to store them in.

All the above to summarize a very good start to the new school year!

Woody walked four miles this morning.  During the time that I was having school, he went to Life Care to have Bible study and visit with some of the residents.  He finally managed to get his crossword puzzles printed out this afternoon.  There was some sort of glitch with the laptop and the internet this morning, but it seems to be back in working order this evening.  I guess I will find out for sure that it is working when I hit publish on tonight's blog!  After supper, Woody headed of to the Furnace Room prayer meeting at church and hasn't returned yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment