Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Sign of the Times

Tonight's photo is my old way of having new recipes at hand...clipped from magazines and filed according to categories.  Then when I wanted to find a new recipe bread, as an example, I would get out the file folder with the bread recipes in it and look through them.  There is no telling how many hours it took me to go through many, many magazines (Good Housekeeping, Better Homes and Gardens, Southern Living, Family Circle, etc.) and then get them all filed.  I guess it kept me out of trouble at that time.  But these days I find myself never going to the files as I can just search on line for a type recipe that I am looking for.  So today I cleared out this drawer and put all those pages out by the side of the road to be recycled...at least there is recycling these days...probably back in the day when I was tearing them out of magazines...the rest of the magazine just went into the regular trash can.  I can say that I have almost an empty file cabinet drawer.  I saved only a few items that were in it.  Even the two notebooks at the back of the files, I emptied and threw away all the recipes in them.  Recipes that I had used from these files and we liked are now in our "tried and true" cookbook/notebook...so not all is lost!  But I guess I will make way for something else to be stored in that drawer and do my recipe searching via internet.  We now have a few more file folders as I just turned them inside out if they were still in good shape and we will recycle those ourselves!

Woody has spent a lot of time on the computer today researching information for his Sunday School lesson. I have heard quite a lot about Noah and the flood coming through the wall that is common to the bedroom and the sewing room (where the laptop is). He spent some time, but not a lot of time, outside due to it being very warm/hot today.   He did decide that it was okay to walk to the prayer room this evening.  He hasn't returned yet...it should be quite a bit cooler for his walk back since the sun will have gone down.

My big accomplishment besides emptying out the file cabinet drawer was getting to post the last PDF file for last year's sewing club.  So Club 1 is behind me for writing...just Club 2 is ahead for writing instructions...that is a good feeling!  I have also worked at getting ready to be able to cut out the rest of Esther's blouse.  I am shifting things around on the sewing table so I can cut out.  I still have to alter the pattern as the pattern is for a dress and I will have to follow some instructions that don't make a lot of sense, at least at this point.  Usually things like this become clear when I am in the midst of doing them.  I'm hoping that is the case for these instructions!

No comments:

Post a Comment