Friday, July 5, 2019

Friday Extras—Day 25




While Woody was at the grocery store this morning, I did a little more checking out the extras in the cabinets.  This is the extra that I wanted the most...a place for our food processor which is also a mixer, a blender, a slicer, and a dough kneader...pretty much a "do-everything" machine.  We have had this processor for some years now and we both use it a lot.  Woody uses it to make his coleslaw, shred zucchini for his zucchini bread, etc.  I use it for all sorts of things and do utilize all its many 
parts.  I am glad for it to have its own special place in the new kitchen...enough to give up a whole cabinet space for it!  There is a small amount of space that I am going to be able to put some flat things on the floor of that cabinet.  The French rolling pin that I bought in Williamsburg, VA for Woody (figured that he benefits from me making pies so the rolling pin was a good present for 
him?!?). I bought it the one time that I went to Williamsburg without him.  I went with the owner of 
the Montessori school where I taught for 27 years.  One of her daughter's went to William and Mary 
and we decided that it was a good time to go visit!  We went the first of December for the Grand Illumination.  Anyway, that time I bought the long French rolling pin and it isn't the easiest thing to 
find a good place to store it.  It has been at the end of our countertop tucked in next to the General Store box that is our bread box.  Now it will have a home in the bottom of this cabinet along with the silicone mat that I roll my crusts out on...another loooong item that barely fit in one of our old drawers.  I am planning to store some other flat oversized utinsels on that bottom shelf too.  Note that there is a plug inside the cabinet to plug in the food processor.  If and when this appliance bites the dust, I have hopes to replace it with a Kitchen Aide mixer.  But for now this processor is an awesome appliance.  I plan to get a stool for the kitchen so we can prop ourselves on it when we are working with the processor.  Also the food processor can be removed from its special lift shelf and we can put a cutting board on the shelf and sit while chopping/slicing by hand.  There is method in my madness...trying to save our tired old backs and legs and feet!

I am going to have to be creative with where I put things as I have taken away cabinet space by making speciality places.  Like for our kitchen trash can...I didn't want it out in the kitchen the way it 
used to be so had the contractor make a place for it.  So another cabinet sacrificed!  Woody keeps 
saying that I won't be able to get everything back in that I had in it...and, I'm pretty sure that he is right...so I have to be extra picky in what I decide gets priority and gets a space in new kitchen!

The other cabinet space that I have given up is due to me wanting more cabinet space and have a space for the microwave "carved" out of the lower cabinets.  And, I didn't want it but in so chose to have a place in the lower cBinets for it to slide in.  I hope we can read the dials.  This will be a time till we get used to the new placement of buttons that we will probably pull up our little stool and sit in front of it to read what we need to push!  Woody is enjoying having a microwave in the family room...he's thinking of leaving the old one in there...one that he is used to using!  All these new appliances will take some getting used to them...that is when we get them installed!

Of course, adding the pantry gives us added space.  I'm figuring out what I can slide into all those dividers!  I really like the drawers.  They are two different depths and will hold a lot...I think!  
Well, the blog is objecting mightily to all these pictures tonight...there is no telling what the typing part will look like!  Woody did his normal routine for Friday...doing our grocery shopping and then taking his friend shopping.  He also did several pickings of Nathan and Kathy's blueberries.  I did some cooking today.  I tried to change things up a bit for Woody and adapted a favorite marinated salad so it fit Woody's dietary "demands."  Woody bought a chicken to stew...well, I think that I am going to go next door tomorrow to use their kitchen as I just don't think that the size chicken that he bought (quite large) will cook properly in our crock pot.  I am really hoping that it won't be many more days till we have a kitchen sink, stove and dishwasher installed and up and running.  I am soooo ready to not have to figure out how to cook things without an oven or cooktop.  And, I am more than ready to have a dishwasher again.  My hands will be thankful...they are not reacting well to being in dishwater so much!  

Well, I am going tonquit for tonight...there is no telling as to what I have actually typed as it is going back and forth and not letting me see where I am typing except for once in a while.  Please don't judge my accuracy on this one!  I hope that you enjoy looking at the extras in our kitchen!






No comments:

Post a Comment