Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Settling Back In...At Least a Little—Day 29


Today crew three completed the phase of the kitchen reno that they were working on.  So it is now being passed to the fourth worker=the countertop man.  I have no idea when to expect him, but I was told that once he comes to measure that as soon as things are ready for him then he will follow right behind...we will see how quickly that happens!  They left shortly after noon so I decided to try out the new stove and I made Woody and me an omelet for lunch.  Stove top worked great...and I was able to figure out how to use it!  This afternoon, I had Nathan help me put in the oven racks.  Then I decided to make supper...my back is telling me that I haven't done this much cooking in a while!  I used the "pop-up" shelf for my food process  with a cutting board on it to prepare both meals.  I had some pork chops that needed to be cooked so I browned them on top of the stove, made cream of celery soup from scratch, and then popped them into the small upper oven.  I managed the timer on the stove two different ways and both going at the same time.  I managed to turn on the oven and preheat it.  I think that I have now used all the sizes of burners...and used the multiple-size burner, and changed the temperatures on the eyes of the stove to different temperatures.  Oh, and, made rice.  So I guess you can say that the stove top and one oven has been broken in!  I came up to blog while the stovetop was cooling down.  After I finish here, I will go down and clean up the stovetop.  But I can say that I like my new stove!  Now I just wish that I had a dishwasher so I wouldn't have to bring everything upstairs and get down on my knees to wash them in the tub!  My hands are not very happy with all the dishwater they have been in lately!  Hopefully I will be able to use the dishwasher before much longer.

I was told to go on and load up shelves and drawers if I want to.  I did put my herbs and spices in the cabinet today as I used them.  I had the workman us my filled lazy Susan to set the height of the shelves in one of my cabinets...so both lazy Susans went into that cabinet.  Only problem is that they are now on the opposite side of the stove than they had been!  I'll bet we are confused as to where things are for quite a while!  I still can't put things in drawers and shelves where the countertop isn't covering them...but at least things are starting to be put in places.  When I finished with the flour, I put it in a pull-out drawer in the pantry.  

By the end of their work time here today, they had shelves in all the cabinets except for the upper pantry...they didn't find any shelves for them.  They are supposed to let the cabinet makers know.  The cabinet makers will come here and get doors adjusted and put on the knobs and handles.  

Speaking of knobs and handles, they arrived today and I had just ordered them Sunday...pretty good service for free shipping!  I bought these from Wayfair.  My first experience of ordering from them.  I like what I chose...now to get them on the doors and drawers!  That will make opening doors and drawers much easier!  

Woody visited with a "shut-in" couple in his Deacon family care group this afternoon.  Then this evening he went to the prayer room at church.  When I was downstairs a few minutes ago he had turned on the All-Star Baseball game.  

I haven't taken a picture of the kitchen as it ended up today.  I will take a few after I get it cleaned up!  So tonight I will just post our lunch omelet in the making and then on the plates.  

Isaac and Joseph had a good time over here for a while today and played so well together in the school room.  They played with Magformers for a while.  Then I got out my grandfather's blocks and they had fun building with those and using some of Joseph's wild animals.  



 







No comments:

Post a Comment