Wednesday, July 3, 2019

One Step Forward...Day 23



As tonight's title indicates there is more to be added to "one step forward" and what is to be added is "two (or more) steps back!"  Not exactly the news that one wants to hear when nearing the end of a major project!  When our three workers (third set of workers who have stayed here on the job more than the others) got here this morning and were checking things out and were hoping to get the rest of the upper cabinets hung and the crown molding up.  But when inspecting the work from Friday, they discovered that the workers who hung the upper cabinets on the sink side of the kitchen failed to cut the openings for the electrical outlets that were put in the wall for the undercabinet lights.  I had noticed after they left last week that they hadn't been cut out and wondered/hoped that someone had drawn a template do the cut out!  But no such luck!  So those cabinets will have to come down to do that job.  The workers today decided to get the other side hung and then deal with taking the other side down!  So that is one step backward! 

The contractor came by today and in talking with him, he told me a website that I could go to to choose my handles and knobs for the cabinets.  So I spent quite a bit of time looking through hundreds!  I have some handles that I like...but I am having trouble finding the knobs that go with them...or different lengths of handles.  I'll have plenty of time to keep looking as it is the end of the workers' work week as they have a long 4th of July weekend.  I know that they are glad to get four days off in a row...but I am sorry that said four-day weekend happened in the midst of our renovation!  As they left, I said that I hoped that I would see them on Monday and they said that they were sure that I would as I should be top priority at the moment...HOPE SO!  

Well, back to the next step back...just before they left they told me that they wished that they had gotten further today, but instead had discovered another problem...this time their fault!  When putting up the nickel gap they neglected to think about the hood vent and that more of the nickel gap would show there.  So they left with the wall paint so that tepee nickel gap boards could be painted and be ready for them on Monday.  This means that...drum roll...that the one cabinet that they hung today will have to come down also...so all upper cabinets have to be taken down on Monday to fix errors!  Par for the course, I'm sure!  So is that two or three steps backward?!? 

I do like the doors on my pantry and on the top of the refrigerator box!  They did other stuff today like leveling things, etc.  but it was a slow, not get a lot done day...but there was still some progress!  I didn't hear from the appliances, which is probably just as well!

This morning Woody ran a couple of errands.  His friend who doesn't have a phone got a call here with a phone number to get his old medical records released.  Woody and he have been working months to try to get this done. Woody took my cell phone over there so he could make the call.  Woody also ran an errand for Nathan...mailing a package for him.  I decided that waffles would be good for tonight's supper...that was accomplished even with adapting the recipe for Woody's dietary needs.  Something different...but lots of dishes are facing me!  Guess I had better go and do them and not put it off any longer!  

No comments:

Post a Comment