Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Within a Hair—Day 43

The start of the 7th week and I can say that the kitchen is finished within a hair's breadth! First thing this morning a workman from the cabinet making shop was here to put finishing touches on including  putting in shelves in the upper pantry and adding a couple of half shelves in two cabinets.  He saw to little things that needed fixing.  Then after lunch the lone woman in the crews (or at the least the only one that has worked here) came and finished up the painting and did touch ups.  This is the first time that the baseboards have had the gold paint on them.  So the only thing left is for her to come back in the morning and put the second coat on the baseboards and do one more touch up that I forgot when she was here.

That means the kitchen is really "all but finished!"  EXCEPT...today I ran the dish washer right after the morning workman left and then decided to fix lunch before the next worker came.  AND, I decided that I would use the new microwave, which I haven't used much yet except to warm up water for my tea.  I turned on the microwave and went out to shake out my microfiber mop and when I came back in the microwave had stopped...which it should have...but when I tried to turn it back on it wouldn't start.  I finally realized that it might have tripped a breaker...sure enough.  So fixed the breaker and tried again...and it did the same thing.  I wondered if having the dishwasher on at the same time had done it...and sure enough...the dishwasher had turned off too.  Rarely would I run the dishwasher and microwave at the same time, but I am glad that I did so I found this problem.  I emailed the contractor and got almost an immediate response...both by email and by phone telling me that they would have someone from the electrical team come by and take care of it.  So a little more paint AND a bit more electrical work and the kitchen "should" be finished!

Woody got out in the yard today and worked in the garden for a little while.  The weather is absolutely wonderful...very cool and low humidity for this time of the year...so Woody took advantage!

I collapsed a lot of boxes that I had emptied so they be picked up at our curbside recycling tomorrow. It's so good to see empty boxes and the empty spots where they have resided for so long!  I started putting things up in our cabinet over the refrigerator...that is where he put one of the half shelves in today.  I had been waiting to fill that cabinet till there was a shelf in there and it worked perfectly...just like I wanted.  One of the first things that I put on that shelf was an oil lamp...not used very often...but when needed (like the time we were without electricity for a week during an ice storm) very useful and needed!  Now it is up and out of the way, but in a place where we can get to it.

Woody went to the prayer room at church after supper.  He is back home now and we are settling in for another quiet evening.

Tomorrow I've got to get things ready for new flooring to be put in all our bathrooms and the sunporch/laundry room. At least not a ton of things to move out of those rooms...but still things to do to get ready...including finding the time to go buy a new toilet for one of the bathrooms.


No comments:

Post a Comment