Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Cinco de Mayo 2020



There wasn't much of a theme around here that would have told anyone that it was Cinco de Mayo...except for the square on the calendar.  I turned the day into a cooking day.  First I deboned and skinned chicken thighs and got them into the freezer for when I'm ready to cook with them.  Then I decided that I would make a chicken pot pie for our supper.  The other day Woody looked through our soup cookbooks and found a recipe for chicken pot pie soup and said that sounded good.  When I got to talking to him about making it, he told me that what had really sounded good to him was chicken pot pie and not in the form of soup.  So mishmashed several recipes together and added my own interpretation.  It ended up tasting pretty good...despite no salt and no potatoes in it.  I used some of our fresh herbs that we planted recently.  I also made the executive decision that I wasn't going to have a bottom crust...just plopped all the filling ingredients, after cooking the filling concoction on top of the stove, into a glass baking dish and then did a lattice top crust.  The recipe is a keeper...that is if I can remember all the changes I made...it will probably be one of those recipes that never tastes the same twice!

Woody made one trip out today to pick up a couple of prescriptions at our pharmacy...that is a drive-thru errand.  Other than that he spent the day reading, watching some TV, working crossword puzzles, checking out some things on the computer...and resting.  I sat once in a while in between cooking tasks...I even managed a short nap during one of those times of sittng.  The other times that I sat down to rest, I read some more in the latest book I've gotten into.

The other day I took the books we had been reading together over to Esther, Elijah, and Isaac so they could finish them independently.  When Nathan came over to fill their water jug from our filtered cold water, he brought Elijah's back because Elijah had finished.  As soon as I publish this, I will sit here and finish it so I can add it to my reading list.  I am edging in closer and closer to making it to my yearly goal total of 52 books/one a week. Obviously I have read more than one a week during the pandemic to be getting this close to my goal this early in the year. The one Elijah just finished and the e-book I am reading currently will put me at 50 when I finish them both.  I'm not reading as much as I was at the start of sheltering at home, but I am still getting in quite a bit of reading each day.

Tonight's borrowed Coronavirus thought:

"Rest at home is better than rest in peace...6 feet away is better than 6 feet under!"

Stay safe!
Stay well!
Stay home, if possible, but be cautious when you reenter society!

No comments:

Post a Comment