Monday, February 15, 2021

Beautiful...BUT...!

Right now if you look out our windows you will see the trees glistening if a light is hitting them...but I sit inside holding my breath that power stays on! If you have ever been without power for almost a week due to an ice storm, you don't forget it AND you sit in dread of the words, "ice storm!". Woody and I decided to get his dialysis underway a couple of hours early since the storm hadn't gotten to us yet and we knew the more of his cycles we could get through before possibiity of power outage the better. At this point in his cycles he is nearing the last drain time and then it will be time to disconnect him for tonight and we will have avoided having to do manual dialysis at leasat for today. Yesterday in the early afternoon, we received a call from one of Woody's Fresenius Kidney Care nurses. She was checking to be sure that we have enough supplies on hand to be able to do manual dialysis in case of a power outage. I decided that I had better review the manual method so got out the instructions and also opened up the boxes with the solution for manual exchanges...there is a whole different set of rules and supplies if we hafe to do it the "old-fashioed way if the electricity goes out. I went on and got out the supplies for one manual treatment so we would have them in reach...just in case! Hopefully being prepared will mean that we won't have to do it this way! We have heard several loud cracks...maybe a branch hit the roof one time...I could never see what caused the noise we both heard. I'm hoping that tonight won't be like it was so many years ago...all night long you could hear loud popping sounds...like canons going off. It was branches snapping and falling. Tonight's photos show the first time this afternoon that I noticed that ice was beginning to build up on the branches. I attempted to take a photo out the front door of the dogwood tree sparkline in the light from the street light. I will insert it here to give you an idea of what it looks like everywhere a light hits the trees at this point in what we are getting...not a good. picture...but carries the "idea" of what it looks like!
I just heard sirens go down the road behind our house. This is not a night to be out and about! I just got an alert from Bedford County (not our county) that driving is extremely hazardous and that there were trees and lines down and to stay home if at all possible. I'm not sure about our roads. Before the sun went down they were okay, I think. The tempertures are supposed to really drop tonight. I'm all about staying in and staying safe...just hoping that we will be able to have light and heat while staying safe! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment