Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Doctor Visit Pretty Much What Was Expected

I did see the pathology reports prior to going to see the surgeon today so we pretty much knew what to expect the doctor to say...part of the report was easy to understand and then there was some medical mumbo jumbo! We knew that the pathology report didn't show up anything new. The one new place that shown as a "hot spot" on the PET scan was benign and the extra area that he reexcised was clear. Of course, that is good news...BUT it is melanoma and melanoma isn't something to just say it is all gone and will stay away so he wants Woody to follow up with two of his doctors at Vanderbilt...both his melanoma doctor and his orthopeadic surgeon (she did surgery on his arm and leg). The melanoma spot that was removed does seem to be a totally different type of melanoma than what he had before. But it is also an aggresive melanoma so it isn't something to just sit back and watch and see what happens. The doctor said that if it was one type that it has a 50% chance of recurring and if it is another type that it has a 70% chance of recurring...not the best odds...that is the name of the game with melanoma! He also wanted to check out some other things so ordered some bloodwork that Woody had done today before we headed home. Dr. Kelley's scheduler is taking care of making the appointments with Dr. Wyman (melanoma) and Dr. Holt (bone)...sometime in the next month. So...exactly what I expected...back in the Vanderbilt loop...been there done that...deja vu all over again! Before we left this morning I got Woody's dialysis treatment all set up so all we had to do when we got home was get him connected to it. I guess we will have a bit later evening since we were about 1-1/2 hours later than usual. I checked our answering machine as soon as we got back as I needed to know if the Fresenius delivery person had called. Our delivery is scheduled for tomorrow, but he always tries to deliver it today so he doesn't have to come here early in the morning. He had called and I tried to call him back as he requested but didn't get him. An hour or soo after we got home, the doorbell rang and it was the delivery man. He said that he decided to take a chance and drive by to see if we were home. I'm glad he did! So we have our next month's delivery...though they shorted me two boxes of gloves...we'll see if I can make it with the number of gloves that they did put in the order. Ir will be cutting it close. I got all the supplies put away. I took the trash to the road and took out all the boxes, that we had gone through in the past week, out for recycle. Our entire day is mixed up...with a big hole missing out of the middle! We didn't eat lunch till 3pm...so meals are all off. When my reminder rang at 4:30 I was surprised that it was that late. Breaking into routine is hard on internal clocks! I'll bet we had better start getting used to these breaks in routine. I must admit that I don't look forward to those long Vanderbilt days again...we so often had 8+ hours away for appointments. The last year off from Vanderbilt appointments has been nice...I guess a gift of 2020! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment