Wednesday, October 5, 2022

No Alarms…But..

Well, it was a better day, except that I overslept so I put off the extras that were supposed to be done. So now WILL do them tomorrow. I have spent over an hour getting everything together for what has to be done and read instructions over and over again for both the dialysate sample and the blood draw PLUS got out all the FedEx packaging and got that spread out on the dining room table and the kitchen counter...and read and reread those instructions. I've given Woody his instructions so he can sleep on them...ha! He has to hold the blood test tubes and invert them slowly 5-10 times...then put them in our little test tube holder. Two of the pre treatment go in the refrigerator shortly after drawn and inverted...one has to sit out and clot for 30 minutes to an hour, but no more than an hour. Then that test tube is spun in the centrifuge...then it is refrigerated with the others till I am ready to pack them up. There is labeling involved and a certain order to put things in the box. As I type this...I am wanting to do lots of eye rolls! The dialysate sample is another story...it HAS to be refrigerated two hours before packing. I can't get the blood labs packed till after Woody's treatment is finished as we have to draw blood post treatment. The main problem in all this is coordinating with FedEx. I can call at any time and tell them a time WHEN the packages will be ready to pick up...the question..will guess correctly as to when we will be finished!?! The dialysis machine says that it takes 3 hours...but it ALWAYS takes longer...I think that it's timing is different than ours. All through the treatment there are times when the pump is slowed down for the machine to do various checks...and, I don't think that the time includes those slow downs...or something...that is my way to rationalize the extra time that is always added onto the three hours...FedEx doesn't come right at the time that I say...they give a window of time that it will be picked up in...but sometimes it is at the front of the window and sometimes at the end. I just know that I need to have it out there when I say I will. Too much figuring for this old mind! We did have one mess today. Woody has discovered that his hand hurts less if he soaks it in warm water. He decided that he wanted to do this during dialysis. I didn't think it was a good idea, but...I guess he tipped it not realizing it and ended up soaking up the water with his clothes.,,so by the end of the treatment he was soaked...the cushions he sits on were soaked...the recliner was soaked (it is faux leather...but it definitely is taking some time to dry out...I have a towel absorbing it and keep changing it and the towel has been at least damp every time). More eye rolling! We're both ready for this day to be over! One nice moment of the day...a friend dropped off some produce she had gotten this morning at the Farmers' Market...delicious tomatoes and sweet potatoes...a taste of the last of Summer and of Fall. Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment