Tuesday, November 15, 2022

A Surprise Nurse Visit

This morning the tech texted me that the rain was slowing her down and that she would be about ten minutes late. I was just about ready for her so I had a piece of toast and was drinking a sip of tea shen the door opened right when she she usually gets here. From the kitchen I asked her if the GPS wasn't telling the truth...then looked out in the dining room and it was one of our nurses. Her patient she was supposed to be helping today had problems and had to not do her treatment today. That meant that she was free to come observe me and do my check-off list. Oh, boy! (Read sarcasm into that last!) Anyway, I proceded to get him the rest of the way ready to be hooked up. Our tech arrived before I was ready to stick Woody for the first time. So we had a pretty good audience! The arterial line is done first. I got it in...not the easiest...but did get it in. Usually the venous line is easier for me, but today I had trouble...and the first attempt clotted off and I had to take that out and get another line and do it in another place. I finally got it in and working. And, did the rest of the hook up and treatment start without any problems. But not long after it got started the arterial pressure started going up too high so had to reposition the needle. Between the three of us, we finally got it positioned away from the wall of the graft. And, after that things went smoothly. I have been written off...passed...or whatever, but the tech will come again tomorrow and then I "think" we will be on our own. Gulp! At the moment I can't imagine it, but time will tell!!! I still see too many scenarios in my head which I have no idea how to deal with them...Woody sees the doctor on Thursday and then I'm afraid that we will come home and hopefully be able to get his treatment well underway before they leave the clinic for the day...I want them where I can call them if we run into problems. The nurse thought that we would take Friday off and I told her that at the start I wanted the treatments to be when they were in clinic! Of course, next week I'm sure they will be off the end of the week for Thanksgiving...and we won't be. I am planning to go back to our Sundays and Wednesdays off after this week...once no one is coming to the house. Oh, well, we'll get used to it eventually! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment