Thursday, November 17, 2022

First "Solo" Day…Nurse to the Rescue!

Now...if this isn't a picture! He's cold! This is the first day that he has worn his toboggan during hemodialysis! Well, this has been a nerve wracking day. We went to the dialysis clinic late morning and then came home to get ready for our first solo home hemodialysis treatment. I had things set up before we went to the appointment. We came home and he weighed as we came in the door...from the car to the wheelchair to the scale and to his recliner. I got his sleeve rolled up and the numbing cream on his site. I finished the set up while he ate his lunch. We waited till he had the cream on his arm for about 45 minutes and then got ready for the first stick...the artereal line. I usually have trouble with putting that needle in, but today got it in without too much trouble. Proceded on to the veinous side, which I seem able to do more easily. So I was hoping that the hardest part was behind me...the stick and placement of arterial needle. Well, I chose my spot and started the stick...not sure what made it happen, but the needle came out...so had Woody hold gauze on that place and began choosing another place. I managed to get it in the graft, but could not get it to advance. At a point, I decided to call the nurse. She made several suggestions, which I attempted, but to no avail. So she said that she was on her way. I kept trying but still no luck. Once she got here we had to make a decision about whether we had to make another move of the needle, but we didn't have to. She got it to advance...she said that it was where I was standing and the angle of the needle. Oh, well...thought that I was standing where I have been standing and thought that I was holding it at angle that I had been told, also. I also had clamp problems...forgot to clamp one time...not a good idea on the arterial line! But that was quickly remedied! I then got venous pressure alarms at the beginning of treatment. Nurse via phone got that problem solved. Funny thing is that I had checked the line that was clamped to make sure that it was unclampped...not once, but twice...oh, well. At the moment things are running smoothly. He has about 45 minutes left for today's treatment. Hopefully the rest of the treatment and end treatment time will go as things are going now. The nurse texted me and asked that we start mid morning tomorrow...I think so that there will be two nurses at the clinic! Do you think she thinks that she might have to make another run to our house?!? I was glad that I had the foresight to leave the front door unlocked. I will end this report of our first solo treatment "adventure." Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!(Woody did give me permission to post this picture!)

No comments:

Post a Comment