Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Over The Hump…For This Week!

Well, we have done more days of dialysis than we have left this week. I guess that is a good feeling!?! At least we are both still alive and I haven't hurt Woody too much! The sticking is getting easier, but getting it in the right position still isn't easy. Our tech, who is keeping an eye on us this week, really worked on getting the arterial needle positioned just so today and we had a very good treatment...NO alarms! A very good thing! Now to learn the technique! We did have a bit of a "moment" this afternoon after the tech left. I had gone upstairs to rest for a bit after we had eaten lunch and Woody messaged to me via Alexa that I needed to come down...that he was bleeding. Zoom, zoom! I "zoomed" such as I can these days! We're still not sure what happened. He had taken off the bandage over the arterial needle stick place...probably a bit before the two hour time (insert eye roll!). And, after a bit he realized that it was bleeding. He put his finger on it and called me. By the time I got down there, it was no longer bleeding...just had the evidence of blood on his shirt and on his arm. I got gauze pads and he held it on the spot while I cleaned up his arm and finger/hand. He is guessing that there was a small scab that got pulled off when he took the tape and gauze off. No major damage done...and, hopefully he is beginning to realize that these stick places need to really clot off before removing the gauze and tape after treatment. After that, I went upstairs and took a long nap! When I came down, it was supper time. Woody had his meatloaf sandwich and I decided that I had better take advantage of having rested and make our next pot of soup...Chicken Gumbo. It just finished simmerin a little bit ago...as well as the rice is cooked. So I am going to have a bowl for my supper after I blog and before I clean up the mess that I have made. Woody is settling in on his couch for the night. So our day is drawing to a close. Woody's hand did not hurt during treatment like it did yesterday, we are guessing that it is because the pressures were more controlled today. Our thoughtful tech did bring his some handwarmers to try...which he didn't need today...but will have the next time! I understand from the tech, that her last day with is will be next Wednesday. Then Thursday we have an appointment with Dr. O and team in the morning. In the afternoon one of our nurses will come and observe how I am doing amd decide if they can let us be on our own for treatment. Gulp! Once again...time will tell! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment