Tuesday, November 22, 2022

If At First You Don't Succeed..!

And, the title has nothing to do with tonight's photo...though, I did have to retake as Joseph, the shortest said that his face looked weird in the first one I took! These are our five yiungest of our nine grandchildren. Today they lined up in height order rather than age. Joseph, who is 8, is the shortest, Isaac, 10 is next, Esther (15) and Joy (17) are pretty close to the same. Elijah (13) is the tallest in this group. They stopped by this morning on the way to the Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM)building, where Nathan is the current director. Their building is on the campus of Motlow Community College, our local 2-year college. We made tentative plans for our part of Thanksgiving...Pie Day. Kathy has since checked back in...after she checked with Abigail to see when she and her boyfriend could come! As the grandchildren get older planning becomes more complicated! We will be having Pie Day Thanksgiving evening this year. Melany and family are away so it will just be the Tullahoma crew of our family getting together this Thanksgiving, Now on to the fiasco of a day we had with Woody's dialysis treatment...the real reason for tonight's blog title. Truthfully so much happened in about 8 hours that I can't even retell it! suffice it to say that the title could be "Practice Makes Perfect?" Because I got practice in sticking. The first stick went fine...or at that time we thought that it had. I had trouble with the second...and ended up doing that one twice before finally getting it where it was supposed to go...that is with two different needle in two different places. Once I finally got that done, it was time to get the treatment going...but had problems almost immediately. Via many phone calls to our nurse, who was home sick and the other was away on vacation, we finally came to the conclusion that the first needle (arterial) needle wasn't placed properly. So then we had a choice to abort today's treatment or redo the arterial needle and if I could get it placed then reset up thr treatment. Woody wanted to go on and try. I did and didn't! But I was counting on the day off tomorrow to make pies and finish up the decorating...and get my hair cut (the most important of all!). So that is what we did. We finally had this second treatment going by 12:20...I had originally started setting up around 7:30...so almost 5 hours after I started getting things set up we were underway for his 3-hour treatment. Things continued to be rather rocky as we kept getting warnings and alarms thoughout most of the treatment. I probably called our nurse a dozen or more times. But we persevered and got the treatment in and this we will have tomorrow off! My plan for the down time during dialysis was to get my pie crusts made to the point of rolling them out. I have learned that they are easier to handle if you put the pie dough into discs for each pie crust you are going to make and wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate them till a little before you roll them out. Well, I did get the flour sifted and the shortening measured during the treatment. Just beforr I came upstairs to blog, I cut the shortening in and when I finish I will toss that sith ice cold water and form them in balls and then flatten them into discs and pop them in the fridge till tomorrow when I will roll them out. Obviously I haven't had much time to decorate or pack away much of the mess comes with decorating. I did put a few more ornaments on thr tree last night. I found the tree top angel and plopped her on top of the tree last night. Going back to the treatment, we were not done till a little after 4:30 and that didn't include me breaking down the machine and cleaning up. So more than nine hours dedicated pretty much to dialysis today! not my ideal way to spend a day! I also had to give him his anemia shot today. It arrived FedEx this afternoon and the nurse to give one on the day it arrived and the 2nd one two weeks later. I've lost my touch on giving those...but really I think it is that Woody has lost any fat that he ever had on his arm...not much to pinch to give the shot into! I'd best go back to my pie crusts! 'Tis the season...for something or other! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment