Monday, October 23, 2023

Monday Came and Has Almost Gone

These golden leaves shine brightly right outside my back door. Woody got his transfusion. I thought he ws getting two units of blood, but only got one. He was at the hospital for about five hours. They have to give him blood even slower than usual because he is a dislysis patient. All went well as far as we know. He didn't come home all perked up from getting more blood. He just wanted to crawl under his fleece throws and relax on the couch once he got home. But it is done and hopefully this blood will stay with him for a while! Yesterday I messaged his gastro doctor at Nashville Vanderbilt and requested that our initial consult with the doctor be via telemed. His nurse thought that would be a good idea. I know when we went to see him last that all he did was talk to us a few minutes and then order a test that we had to come back for. If we can eliminate one Nashville trip that will be good both for us and for Melany. The nurse messaged back with a day and a time and he will have the telemed appointment two weeks from tomorrow less than an hour after he gets home from dialysis...so good timing. The nurse asked if that appointment would work and I messaged back that it would. When I messaged her back I identified us as Melany's parents (he has been Melany's doctor for over 25 years...at the time that he diagnosed her with Crohn's). Melany had told me which nurse would answer my message and she was right. The nurse messaged back and said she was glad that I had connected us with Melany...that we were V.I.P! That made me laugh. But it is nice to have a touch point with some docs/nurses so they remember who you are! Woody's sort of memorable due to his horrific GI bleed! I left Woody in the capable hands of the nurses and came home as I had a couple of things that I wanted to accomplish and Woody was fine with me leaving. I did have to go back mid way through his treatment to give him his eyedrops. The nurse said that she wasn't supposed to do it...There was still 1-1/2 hours left when I went back so I went back home again. This time I spent part of the time talking through possible plans for a funeral meal. One of the things I did this morning was bake some banana bread to take to our friend whose husband passed away over the weekend. While at prayer meeting I got another volunteer who wants to help with a meal after the funeral. So the plans continue! Speaking of prayer meeting, I did go tonight, but Woody chose to continue resting after his long time at the hospital. I had quite the time getting to prayer meeting tonight...a train blocked my way...I could see the church through the train cars...but couldn't get there and the train was at a standstill. I finally headed down the road to a viaduct that let me cross over the train tracks. I eventually got to the church...just about a minute late. The train had moved out of the way by the time prayer meeting was over. That about sums up my day. It's time for eye drops again for Woody. This will be the last that I have to put the antibiotic eye drop in...was to do that one four times a day for a week...and today at 9 will end the 7th day of drops since his surgery. His eye continues to do well. We will see the eye surgeon again on Wednesday. We'll both be glad to set aside one of the kinds of drops. I have changed the dressing on his leg...there has been so much going on that I have trouble remembering to do what we have done for the longest time! But it is done! Tomorrow is up dark and early and get back into the dialysis cycle for the week. To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment