Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Tuesday Followed Monday!

Perhaps..."things" are a little better than yesterday. Woody said that he thought that maybe he is feeling better...still not great...but "better" is heading in the right direction...hopefully! He had dialysis today. It was a good session, Woody said, just long. He has other patients in the center having treatments that he gauges his time from. When he gets there in the morning there are three or four already there with their treatments up and running. He knows when one of the men is being taken off that he has about 26 minutes left. The dialysis waiting room is an interesting place. After doing dialysis at home for more than two years, it takes getting used to interacting with other patients. I will say that as in the library, we suggest that you don't judge a book by its cover...so it is with these other patients. I will say that each and every one of them, including Woody, have a homeless look. The reason being that they all dress in layers and layers and wear knit hats and gloves even in the warmest of temperatures...because the dialysis room is so cold and because they feel cold while dialysis is underway. But in going in and waiting on Woody I have gotten to sort of know some of the patients who are in the waiting room waiting to be taken back for their treatments. And, we have interesting conversations. I feel for them so much...some come from really rough lives...others are just every day folk. One of the ladies forgot her neck pillow last week and I offered her one that I had in the car. I had actually just washed it and put it back in the car. It's the one that I used when we used to go on long car trips...of course now we rarely go on long car trips and I am usually the driver...so not using a neck pillow to rest my head back when riding! So this patient used it and returned it to Woody at her next treatment. Today she asked me if I made the pillow. When I said that I had, she asked me if I would make one for her husband. Not exactly the sewing that I was expecting to do, but I am now in the midst of stufing one for him. I cut it out and sewed it up this afternoon...not exadtly rocket-science sewing! I really feel for her and her husband...since Woody has been in center for his dialysis, this couple has been in the waiting room waiting the wife's turn. He is always so attentive to her. The last few times he hasn't been there...she has just been in the waiting room without him. She told me a couple of days ago that he was in the hospital...that he had to get a feeding tube. I keep thinking what this family is going theough...she has to be at the dialysis center for four hours three days a week and now she will have to be in charge of feeding him each of his meals. Just never know what all people around you are going through. So I'm happy to make this for him...hoping that it will bring him comfort/ease. Woody completed his crossword puzzles during his dialysis treatment today...something to help him get through the long four hours. I will say that those four hours probably pass much more quickly for me than for him! I left to pick him up a little earlier today as I needed to stop at the Post Office. There was quite a long line (for Tullahoma)at 10am...guess the holiday yesterday kept a lot of people from being able to mail things. I'm not sure that my gift is going to get to AZ before my niece's birthday celebration at my sister's. I procrastinated a bit too long! She may just get to drag her celebrating out a bit longer! I did stitch some last night and some this morning...seeing more progress on my Christmas stitch especially. Well, back to stuffing the neck pillow and then going down to check on Woody and put the last dishes into the dishwasher. To be continued! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment