Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday...all day!

What a beautiful day! It rained early and then cleared up with huge puffy clouds floating in the sky! Woody got up early, went to work, worked, walked at lunch, worked some more, and then came home to rest and relax.

I had a fun day doing school with four of the five neighbor grandchildren. We started out with Joy (4)...she had her reading lesson (reading lists of three letter phonetic words), then she counted to 100, and then did several math and reading papers. At the end I read a story to her. Then Esther (2) came over for her school time, She did her reading lesson (we are making three letter phonetic words with the movable alphabet). Then we went over the numbers and she traced the sandpaper numbers with her fingers. Then she did a color matching exercise. I read a story to Esther (the same one that I read to Joy!) By the time that I walked back over to their house, Abigail (6) was home from her speech class, so she came over to read to me. She read two stories out of her reading book. Then I read a story to her (the same one that I read to Joy and Esther!). It was about lunch time when I took Esther back home, so I told Graham that I would let him read to me sometime after lunch.

Almost immediately after Graham (8) finished lunch, he was ringing the doorbell...and had an exciting announcement to make: HE IS FINISHED WITH HIS SECOND GRADE SCHOOL WORK! Free for the summer!!! He came on in and I showed him the workbook that I had that was for the summer...a bridge between 2nd and 3rd grade. There is a page a day...each day a different subject...reading, language arts, math, social studies, science, etc. Well, he immediately got busy doing Day 1...it was reading...they had lots of suggested reading material for him to read over the summer. We got online to check to see if our local library had them...and they did have a lot of them. He made a bookmark to use when he is reading this summer...there are stickers provided in the workbook...so he got interested in the stickers. He decided that he wanted to do more than one page...so he ended up doing four day's worth! I just love it when children love to learn so much that it is fun for them...he no more saw this as more school work...but as FUN! FUN! FUN!

After Graham finished with those four pages, he headed home and I headed to the grocery store...my week is all turned around now that I am going to the store at the first of the week instead of on Friday...going at the first of the week started last week, after we got home from NIH. I almost told one of my friends, when I saw her at the store, to have a good weekend! So I'm home from the grocery store...Woody helped me put away the groceries...and now I've blogged...next is Dancing With the Stars! I'm heading downstairs to watch and relax! While we were putting the groceries away, Graham and Abigail paid us a visit and Abigail announced that SHE IS FINISHED WITH HER FIRST GRADE SCHOOL WORK! Lots to celebrate today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment