Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rearranging Life!

The phone lines have been zinging between here and Maryland and other points in TN today. The research nurse called Woody at work to say that tentatively she has set up appointments for him starting at 7:30am this coming Wednesday, June 2, and they will end on Thursday, June 3, at 4pm. The tentative part is that the appointment people are off till Friday! The research nurse will email us on Friday confirming the appointments. Tentative or not, I had to get busy rearranging our lives! I had to make reservations for a hotel. In order to get the NIH special rate at the hotel that we stayed at before, I had to call to make the reservations. Well, at least the person spoke English! She found the rate right away, but...could only give us the rate for one of the nights. I wasn't happy about that so decided to hang up and consider where else we could stay. I talked to Woody and he said to at least make the reservation for that one night...so phoned back...well, this fellow (still spoke English!) had problems finding the NIH rate...he "finally" did and then had to connect me to their special needs department as I needed the room to be feather free!!!!!!!!! The last time I was able to make the reservations online and get a good rate and a feather-free room...but not this time. The regular rate is more than twice the amount of the NIH rate so it is worth the hassle. I still could only get the one night. So then on to find another hotel that was close enough, but didn't cost two arms and two legs! I finally accomplished that and made that reservation online. Just getting hotel rooms took several hours.

My 6-month appointment with my regular doctor was coming up the middle of June and we're pretty sure that we will be away then. I could have postponed it...EXCEPT for renewals on my prescriptions. So I changed that appointment to Friday. I had an appointment to get my hair cut this coming Tuesday and we'll be traveling that day so had to change it. She was able to cut my hair today. I had been putting off getting groceries till I knew how long we would be here prior to our next trip to Maryland. So had to get groceries, too! Let's just say that my head is in a spin! I'm not good with having to make appointments and reservations...guess I should be getting better at it!

Woody got up early, went to work, worked, walked at lunch, and then worked some more and then some more...again worked a 10-hour day. He has been in quite a bit of pain this evening.

I have to tell a funny story on Woody (I forgot to tell it last night!). Since Woody was working late, I decided to empty all the wastebaskets and go on and empty them into the big garbage can and take it out to the curb, so Woody wouldn't have to do it after he came home. I noticed that his car was back, and that it was taking him quite a while to come inside, so I looked out the front door and realized that the garbage can wasn't at the curb. He had taken it around back...he's so used to taking it back when it is at the road, when he comes home, that he didn't think about what day it was! Oh, well...so much for "trying" to help! He ended up making two trips with it last night, by me trying to help!

Just before I came to blog tonight, I looked at our email and the Vanderbilt research nurse checked in with us to see how things were going. I emailed her back to let her know the progress of things at NIH. I just heard the sound that we have email and it looks like it is a reply from her. So we are still in touch with Vanderbilt.

I'm hoping that life will be more settled tomorrow. Now to see if I can get started on Graham's shirt! I did get it cut out last night.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your trip. Prayers going out to you and Woody!

    Happy Memorial Day too.

    MM

    ReplyDelete