Saturday, June 11, 2011

Deer Fodder

This was not Woody's plan for his green pepper plants...but...he knew that it would probably happen. Note on this plant that the deer left the little green pepper at the top, but ate all the leaves. The fate of our gardening...all too often...the deer get more than we!

Woody got up early and walked about six miles. Once again he did some watering of some of our gardens...it has been just so hot and dry. He went to the library and ran errands later in the morning. I got up and got back to work on the house. The dining room was the first room that I attacked today...dusted and polished the furniture and washed and ironed an antique cutwork doily that my grandmother or perhaps her sister made. It goes in the middle of the table. I relocated the silk flowers and other items that decorate the dining room table (these had been put away while Erin and Alex were here as we ate in the dining room each night). I hadn't gotten them back out as I used the dining room table as one of the places to put curtains while the windows were being put in. I even used a special spray to clean the silk flower arrangement. So the dining room is pretty clean for the moment! After I finished in the dining room, I headed out to the front flower garden...took a few pictures and deadheaded the flowers. When I came back in, I headed into the living room. This was the room that had the most items out of place. I vacuumed really well and then started putting furniture back in its place. This included taking everything off a little book shelf that has antique books on it along with other special decorative items. I polished the little book shelf...a piece of furniture that was in my parents' first house...on the back of it the price is still there...$5.98! I have always loved this book shelf...whenever I dust it memories come back of dusting as a child. I liked to dust the open areas on the sides of the top shelf. Memories can be funny at times! After I got it all dusted and polished, I put everything back on it. Then I moved, with Woody's help, the rest of the furniture pieces back to their proper places. I also moved my sewing cutting table into the living room...with the hope to have some time to get back to sewing! I didn't polish or dust the rest of the furniture in the living room...left that for a time when I had more energy! I then came upstairs and dusted off the table in my sewing room where the laptop usually resides. I got the little table back in front of the window for a printer (one that I'm not too happy with at the moment, as it is showing an error message that I haven't been able to trouble shoot yet). And, then I got the laptop and brought it back upstairs to its place. So lots of busy work...but having the computer back in its home was pretty much the last thing that was out of place due to replacing the windows. I did sit down this afternoon and enjoyed a concert by Jackie Evanoch, a 10-year-old girl, on PBS...wow what a voice on one so young! A little after watching her concert, I decided to flop down on the bed and read for a while...well, the next thing I knew quite a bit of time had gone by...and I hadn't read many pages! Guess I needed the rest! Woody has read, worked puzzles, watched TV and library DVDs, perhaps napped a bit, etc. this afternoon...pretty much taken it easy this hot afternoon. He did cook a couple of heads of cauliflower and made a favorite of ours...Italian Cauliflower.



No comments:

Post a Comment