Thursday, June 23, 2011

Remembering

Do you ever wish that you could go back in time? Most of the time I am pretty content right where I am...but I really would like to go back to this day ten years ago. We were all together as a family for my niece Rachel and now nephew Trent's wedding. Woody and I had gone out to AZ about two weeks prior and had the fun of the last minute preparations. Melany, Wade, Erin, and Alex and Kathy and Nathan came out several days before the wedding. Note we only had two grandchildren then...but unbeknownst to us at the time (though Kathy was feeling really tired while in AZ) Graham would make his appearance about 8 months later...so in reality he was there too! It was just a super nice reunion time while we all celebrated with Rachel and Trent. Erin (almost 8) was the flower girl and Alex (almost 4) was the ring bearer. I made Erin and Alex's garb for the wedding. When Alex first tried his little outfit on (above picture on the bottom), he said, "Ah look like a gull (meaning girl)!" We told sweet Erin not to sit down in her flower girl dress till after the wedding and she complied (stood for hours!)...about a half hour after the wedding was over she asked if she could sit down! About the picture at the top of Alex hugging my father...Alex ran up to him saying, "hi, GG's Daddy!" "GG" (stands for Great Gramma) is what the grandchildren called my mother...that brought a laugh to have Alex call Daddy "Mother's Father"...of all people...Daddy...the person who never claimed to be over 29! Alex isn't in the family picture in the bottom left corner because he fell asleep before the end of the wedding ceremony--we put him down for the rest of his nap on the couch in the fellowship hall where the reception was held. It was a beautiful wedding and we have lots of very good memories about the time spent together. I have been wishing today, as I looked through pictures, that I still had my mother and father to spend time with. Then there is also a sort of comeuppance when I stop to think...that now...I am the oldest living member of my family!!!!!!!!!

Besides today being Rachel and Trent's 10th anniversary, it is the 6th anniversary of Daddy's death...so we have the bitter and the sweet to remember today! So I have featured wedding moments and a couple of pictures of my father in tonight's blog collage. I can definitely say that I know where I was ten years and six years ago today...no question...in AZ.

Woody got up early and went for about a four-mile walk . We have had a day of almost no rain...we did get about two hundredths of an inch sometime after midnight...but the rest of the day has been rainless. Woody walked around the yard and picked up sticks that had fallen over the last couple of days of storms (Oh, Alex, where are you when we need you???!!!! Alex just "loves" to pick up sticks! (not!)). This afternoon Woody walked to the library and made a stop at the drugstore to pick up two prescriptions. He has read and watched some TV and rested. I have spent most of the day working on two little sleeves for Esther's dress...lots of basting and gathering and stitching different layers of eyelet, piping, etc. Abigail doesn't understand why it is taking me so long. This afternoon the children spent some time over here. Abigail and I started planning a sewing project for her new baby brother or sister. Several of the childern decided to get out some of the school equipment and there was some K'nex building going on as well as several art projects.

Happy 10th, Rachel and Trent!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Aunt Lois. We've had a very nice day. I'm so grateful for the memories of that day and time. I miss grammar and granddaddy today, but I know they are with us. Love you! Thanks for the memory. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did think of you today and remembered back. I have thought about my Uncle too. I DO WISH you hadn't mentioned that you are the OLDEST living member of your family. WOW! We have come a long way! LOVE LOVE LOVE all the pictures, but especially the one of your Dad tipping his glasses. It captures his personality somehow.

    ReplyDelete