Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rising to the Occasion!

We have had another busy day...or so it seems to me. It has also been another hot day...high in the upper 90'sF (though our indoor/outdoor thermometer read above 100F at one point today...I figure that the outdoor thermometer was probably in the sun). Woody got up early and took a walk...trying to get ahead of the heat. The rest of us had a later start to the day. Erin had a really late start...it was hard for me to get her up this morning. Once I did get her up I found out that she wasn't feeling well. Not feeling well for her usually means that her blood sugar will fluctuate in the wrong direction. Today we had to struggle with it being low...but I "think" that we finally have it where it should be. I don't think that I will ever understand how to handle her Type I Diabetes. I surely do wish that she didn't have to deal with it daily...and has since she was in third grade. It's not easy for her to totally handle it by herself as she also has Aspergers Syndrome (a form of autism). And, those are only two of her six health problem diagnoses!!! She really handles all these in stride. I'm the one who has the most trouble handling all of them...too many for one child!




Woody did our weekly grocery shopping today...pretty good as we only bought enough to get us through the Memorial Day long weekend and we made it all the way to Thursday without a major shopping trip. We had lunch after the groceries got put away. After lunch, Erin began making the Macaroni Grill's Rosemary Bread. (That was my favorite part of tonight's meal!). Very good! At the time that the bread went into the oven, Graham invited us over to their house for a unicycle show. He, Abigail, Joy, and their cousin Jana road their unicycles for us. Then they played "Jesus Loves Me" with bells...Esther and their Mommy and Daddy joined them for that. Then we went home to take the bread out of the oven. We had a bit of a break from cooking and then the big cooking event took place...a meal to satisfy Alex (who doesn't like too many things). We had chicken fingers and thin sliced fried potatoes (both cooked in olive oil) and this time added at Alex's request...onion rings! Erin was in charge of the onion rings and I the rest. We both wondered if we would ever be finished cooking and Alex and Goosey wondered if they were ever going to get to eat! I did point out when we got to the table that it must not be the healthiest of meals...everything was pretty much one color (oh, well, we have been pretty healthy up to this point with our meals while they have been here...it's now the downhill stretch...and we can get a little less healthy)! The kitchen was an absolute mess by the time we were finished. I stuck around for a while and worked on one side of the kitchen (shortest side...but the stove side) and got it cleaned up, while Woody worked on the other loooooooooong side of the kitchen. I left him still washing dishes to come up to blog! The meal was highly approved of by Alex...he probably did away with any hunger pangs that he has had during his stay! I'm ready to flop on the bed and read for a while to rest my weary back and feet. But, I do think that we finally rose to the occasion of meeting Alex's approval with every item on the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment