Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Discovery & Disclosure

Look what we discovered eating our dill today. I'm not sure what wonderful moth or butterfly they would have turned into...but they were removed from our dill. There was another type of caterpillar on the dill also...guess they find it tasty. We are planning on making dill bread...don't want to give up too much of it to critters!

Woody and I worked in the gardens some this morning. Woody watered and did some weeding. I weeded and deadheaded. We got a very small amount of rain today. It has really been hot and dry...but today we got a break and it was really nice out. I came back in from the gardens and started in sewing. I had good intentions...but...I shortly found out that a sewing saying is definitely true = "As you sew, so shall you rip." I did a lot of "frog stitching" today (rip-it, rip-it)...that is to say I took out about as many stitches as I put in. The biggest problem was that the seams that I had to take out...were first sewn with a straight stitch, then serged, then top stitched and then rick rack was sewn over the seam...that adds up to four things that had to be taken out of each seam that had to be redone...and I had made the mistake on two seams. Not the easiest stitching to pick out either...but all is out and I am now doing it all again...hopefully correctly this time. I am making a pattern from my sewing magazine from Finland...and some of the directions are about as clear as mud till after you make your mistake...or that is what I found out today...makes a lot more sense now. So I will trudge on till the next mistake. Joy will probably be in the next size at the rate I'm making mistakes!

After lunch, we had a knock on the door and Nathan, Kathy and family all came in with big grins on their faces. They all came into the family room and Nathan asked us if we would be able to babysit in the middle of January or perhaps the week before. I immediately started trying to figure out if that was a time that we would be going to NIH. I figured that they were planning a mission trip. And, all of a sudden three-year-old Esther pipes up with, "because Mommy's going to have a baby!" At that point I clued in as to why they might need us to babysit then...a due date! The girl siblings are wishing for a girl and the boy siblings are wishing for a boy, of course! If they have a boy it will make the count even...three of each. The girls don't care about it being even...they just want a girl! I think that the parents and grandparents pretty much agree...we just want him/her to be healthy!

After that announcement I went back to sewing and shortly discovered my mistakes. Woody walked to the Post Office to mail a package to Ireland for me. I still have a piece of camera equipment that I ordered a while back that isn't working correctly with my camera. I am dealing with the company who made it and they have asked me to mail it back to them rather than back to the place that I bought it. After he got the package mailed, then he went on to church for his time in the prayer room. Not long after he got home, we got a phone call from next door saying that it was time to come over to enjoy a celebration dessert with them. The children are so excited about being big brothers and sisters again...and for the first time for Elijah. They were going around telling what they would do to help when the new baby comes. Kathy recorded it! So we're going to be grandparents to eight ranging from 18 years down to newborn come mid-January 2012! And, six of those will live right next door to us! After disclosing the news and they were leaving, Nathan did ask if we now planned to put a "for sale" sign in our yard!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Lois, I had 6 children in 8 years! Do put up the for sale sign yet. Wait until they are all teenagers!!!!

    ReplyDelete