Saturday, March 16, 2013

Darn Day!

I got up before sunrise today (as did Woody...but that's not unusual for him). I didn't sleep much last night--which translates into me getting some reading done! I headed into the sewing room to work on a new-to-Abigail dress...one that she likes and looks cute on her...but one that we discovered when she tried it on at home had several holes/tears on the back. So Grammy decided that today was the day to attempt to rescue the dress for her. I first checked to see if I had some solid color fabric that would match if I were to put it behind the holes/tears. Upon heading into the guest room where that fabric is stored, I discovered that we were having a beautiful sunrise. So I paused in my mending efforts and got my camera and took several photos of the sunrise out the upstairs guestroom window. Then it was back to deciding about the best method to fix the dress. First came a good press of the dress...in pressing the dress I found another hole/tear! While pressing I thought about the best way to fix these holes and decided that I would change the drape of the dress fabric the least if I just darned the holes!!!!! And, hence tonight's blog title...it has definitely been a "darn day!" I have been at it most of the day...with a nap here and there along the way (making up for not sleeping much during the night!). This "fix" is definitely not invisible...but on a "galloping horse" (Abigail) the mends probably won't be noticeable and she will be able to wear this dress...so she will be happy! It was definitely a slow-go but then there were five different places that needed to be mended. As I darned, I wondered what this dress had been caught on or in...car door, dog's mouth...or what?!? I listened to "Girl of the Limberlost while mending...made the process less painful! I would much rather make a garment from start to finish than to mend a garment...just saying! Tonight's photos show Esther and her doll, Noel, and Noel's new dress and pinafore. The fabrics have lots of stories to tell! The blue check is the fabric I used to make Nathan and Kathy's kitchen window treatments in their house in Georgia. The white eyelet fabrics are from my Aunt Lois' doll sewing stash that I inherited! Woody walked to the library this morning. He brought me back a book that I had asked him to check out for me. I haven't started reading it yet because of my "darn day!" Later in the day he ran errands and the rest of the day he has read, watched basketball and other things on TV, worked crossword puzzles, made tuna salad, unloaded the dishwasher, etc. It has been a breezy Spring-like day...though I never even stuck my head out the door...just sat and darned...but it was nice to see the sun shining in the windows! Don't forget to wear your green tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment