Thursday, June 22, 2017

"Come Set A Spell!"

 I finally got all the pillows finished this morning and got the last rocker all wiped clean and snapped a picture.  The porch is all ready for doing some good old fashioned Southern Settin'!
 I sit on the glider rocker most of the time...puts me in the center of the action, I guess!  But it also lets me have a camera or two next to me either on the seat or on one of the tables next to me.  The two smaller "lumbar pillows" were made by appliquing designs from one of the other fabrics onto the base stripe fabric. I really like this stripe fabric. It reminds me of paint brush strokes. The larger pillow in the middle is a good way to use an old bed pillow...I just made a pillow sham to go over one of our old squished pillows...just right to go behind one's back and not be to thick!  The flowers that I appliqued onto the one pillow came from the fabric that I had left from the last time I made porch pillows.  That flowered fabric is on the back of most of the pillows.
 Above is the pillow that I did machine embroidery on.  When I got this machine embroidery design a year or two back I imagined it being used on a pillow on the porch...from imagining to reality! This design is a rendition of the Mola art form of the Kuna Indians of Panama.
 The above pillow has a strip of the "seaside print" and I bordered on the top and bottom with the stripe fabric.  This was the pillow that I finished this morning.
Here is the rocker that I bought the cushions for and it has the "porch sweet porch" pillow on it that my sister gave me last year for my birthday (I think).  Also take note of the thermometer on the table next to this chair.  I took this picture after lunch today...and it was 69.6...Cindy has brought us a lot of rain and kept the temperatures lower...pretty humid out there, though!

Woody went to a retirement party for one of his former co-workers today.  He enjoyed getting to see a lot of the folk from work once again.  They met at lunch time at University of Tennessee Space Institute which is fairly close to Arnold Air Force Base where all these folk work and/or worked.

Elijah came over after lunch to tell us that we are going to celebrate his birthday tomorrow.  They will be on mission in Poland on his actual birthday.  Before Poland they will be flying into Iceland and staying a couple of days before flying to Poland.  Talk about world tavelers!

I went out on the front porch with Elijah and we sat and talked for a while and watched the birds fly in to eat at the two feeders.  We couldn't believe how many different kinds of birds we saw in a very short time.  Woody came out to join us and tried out the rocker with the new bought cushions.  He says that that rocker sits pretty well.  I sat for quite a while and took bird pictures after I took pictures of the front porch for the blog tonight...I know that Cheryl, my sister, has been wanting to see pictures...so here they are for all to see who read this!  Now Cheryl just needs to figure out when she can come see us so she can "set a spell" on the front porch...one of her favorite places to be when she visits from Arizona.

I made simmer steak for supper tonight.  Shortly after Woody finished eating, he went next door to "set a spell" with the grandchildren while their parents went on a date.  He did take an early morning walk this morning...hoping to beat the rains of Cindy...but the rain had already started even though he was up and out quite early.  I'm not sure how much rain we have gotten due to Cindy...but quite a bit.  It had stopped for a while, but started up again a while ago.  I think that we are supposed to get more from her tomorrow.

If you are ever in our area...do come and "set a spell" with us on our porch!

No comments:

Post a Comment