Tuesday, June 27, 2017

He Does Have a Red Belly!

This is a picture of a red-bellied woodpecker.  I had always questioned why they were named that as the main thing that I notice when they come to visit our feeders is that they have a red head...or course the red-headed woodpecker has a much redder head!  In this last picture that I took this afternoon while sitting on our porch shows some red feathers on its belly!  This is the first time that I have ever seen the red on the belly. I sat for quite a while this afternoon and watched the birds.  I am always amazed by how many birds come to visit our feeders while we are sitting there so close...and just amazed at the variety that come.  I guess they have figured out that we aren't a threat.  I'm also glad that I can silence the electronic shutter button on my camera...that way they don't hear me clicking away with the camera.

I spent some time this morning cleaning the school room.  I had pretty much left the school room alone since our intruder had been in there.  I had cleaned up the mess that he (intruder) made, but hadn't cleaned up the art mess that the children had made one afternoon.  So today I remade the bed that had been unmade since the last sleepover and cleaned up the remnants of an art project or two.  I also vacuumed so it is is pretty good shape once again.  I folded a large load of towels and got them put back in their proper places.  After that I decided that I "deserved" some time on the porch.  I finished filling bird feeders.  Yesterday I took one down and cleaned it really well and had to wait till it was dry to fill it and hang it back up.  The hanging up part of the job was Woody's.  The birds and the squirrels are thanking me for all the new seed, etc. that is out there. They were definitely flying in this afternoon to check things out and enjoy a seed or two or... I even saw a little chipmunk out there this morning eating seeds that had fallen to the ground.

Woody has spent quite a bit of time outside today...another great day to spend outside.  The high for today has only been in the 70's...just beautiful.  Woody did quite a bit of mowing today.  I even took advantage of the nice temps and did a little weeding and also dead-headed some of our flowers.  Woody walked to the prayer room at church (his walk for the day) after supper and is still there.  Earlier he cleaned up the mess that I had made cooking.

I think that I am going to go read or maybe watch something on my iPad...time to put my feet up!

No comments:

Post a Comment