Friday, January 26, 2018

Final January Friday

The month of January is rapidly drawing to a close.  It seems like it has zoomed by.  I didn't get much done with what is left of my undecorating today because I spent most of the day in the kitchen. When I got up I headed down to get my mother's baked bean recipe put together.  Woody headed off to do our weekly grocery shopping.  I couldn't get the baked beans into the oven till Woody got home as I didn't have enough molasses.  So while I waited his return, I worked on cleaning up the kitchen.  I am working on using things up that are in the freezer.  I had salt pork frozen in the freezer since the last batch of beans that I made.  And, I have found out that salt pork doesn't freeze for a very long time...and since Christmas was a month past, I knew that it would be good to get the salt pork out before it went rancid.  It was fine...so didn't leave it in too long this time...guess you can tell that at another time I left it in too long!  (And, yes, Carla, I will share Mother's recipe...if I could just remember when I am on my iPad to send it...that is where the recipe is stored! One of these days!)  The other thing that I got out of the freezer was a ham bone.  Woody mentioned that he wanted Split Pea Soup the other day.  So after I got the beans into the oven to slow cook the rest of the afternoon, I made a pot of split pea soup.  That is the extent of my cooking today.  I had wanted to make a pot of potato soup...but just didn't have the energy to do that...hopefully tomorrow...as that is the kind of soup that I am wanting at the moment.  I am also planning to make pulled pork...this time I am going to try to cook it in the oven.  I found a recipe on how to do that.  The beans are for the pulled pork...or for whatever.  I had a small bowl full tonight when they came out of the oven...pretty good, if I do say so myself!

As I mentioned Woody did our Friday grocery shopping...I put away groceries...I think that the cat "only" got in twice today!  Grrrrrrr!  She came straight to me in the kitchen and stretched her paws up on the cabinet!  Woody got her and out she went!  Yesterday she got in once when Woody didn't realize she was in...he came back in and was surprised to see the cat inside!  I think that she has adopted us...but the feeling isn't mutual!  Woody did get his four-mile walk in and he also sat over at Nathan and Kathy's house with Isaac while the rest of the family went off for a little while.  Joseph was supposed to have stayed as he had just gotten his four-year-old shots this morning and wasn't feeling the greatest...but decided that he would rather go than stay!  Mid afternoon Woody took the vacuum outside and attempted to vacuum out the car...trying to have the car clean inside and out for a change!  We had pea soup for supper and then I got the rest stored away.  And just before coming up to blog I got the beans stored away...so pots are soaking.  I will need the soup pot tomorrow for my potato soup. I have gotten a start on taking the branches off the tree...when I walk upstairs empty handed I am trying to remember to make a trip over to the tree and grab a couple of limbs and taking them upstairs and putting them into the Christmas tree box.  Once I get the tree stored away in the box...THEN it will be Woody's turn to take over and get all the Christmas boxes into the closet...definitely a "puzzle" to work!  I will be glad to turn it over to him.  We can barely walk down the hallway at the moment as the boxes have taken over all but a narrow path.  Slowly but surely!


No comments:

Post a Comment