Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Snow Day!

Even Grammy's school had a snow day today.  It was still just so cold when it was time for Joseph to come over for his time and the wind chill made it seem even colder, that we decided to abandon school with me today.  It got down to 3 degrees here last night according to our thermometer.  And, I know that the wind chill was well below zero...too cold!

When I found out I wasn't going to have school, I got busy with my undecorating/redecorating.  I put away a bunch of things and then got out the items to replace those.  I even hung a few pictures.  The Carolers have all found their boxes to rest in for the ensuing months till I decorate next!  A little while into the morning I got an urge to bake some bread.  Snowy days have always made me want to bake.  I sat down with a cup of tea and my bread cookbook and decided on what kind to make.  I ended up putting two recipes together...Cinnamon Swirl and Raisin Bread...so we ended up with Raisin Cinnamon Swirl bread.  Pretty good.  It made two loaves.  I drizzled confectioners icing over one loaf and left the other one without...as I wanted to be able to toast some of it.  They turned out really good for a first time making either of those recipes and surprisingly good since I didn't really follow a recipe exactly!  The house smells so good with that freshly baked bread smell!  I have been trying to use things in the freezer and today I used the rest of the shrimp--and made crusty "fried" shrimp in the air fryer--very good and only used a brush of olive oil on them.  We paired the shrimp with broccoli...Woody thought that we needed something green to go with them!

Woody again only walked to the mail box and to get the trash can in.  He also attempted to sweep off the front walk...not a lot of melting has happened either in the yards or on the walkways or on the roads...just too cold.  He hoped to help with the melting by sweeping some.  And, what he did was let in an unwanted guest!  When he came back in the front door didn't close completely and I guess the wind...or perhaps our unwanted guest pushed it open.  Anyway, I was sitting down in the living room waiting on one of the steps for the bread and all of a sudden I heard a "meow!"  It was the bobtail cat that tends to hang around at our house and she was coming down my stairs from upstairs!  Yikes!  I happened to be eating a snack...and decided to use it to lure her out of the house...that worked...but I hate that I encouraged by feeding her!!!!! I want her to go back to her home which is on the other side of our block...we have decided that she hangs here and at Nathan's because we are the main ones who are home during the day and also we cook and good smells emit from our houses making her hopeful!  Anyway she seems to have taken up residence on our front porch on the pillows in our chairs.  I feel sorry for her...but then I don't...because...she isn't ours and we know that she has a family close by!  I guess she was my excitement for the day!  I can do without excitement of that kind!  I love cats...but love them mainly when they are mine or Esther's!

I had planned to post a picture tonight of some of the grandchildren sledding yesterday...but the photo transfer software didn't want to open up tonight so I decided to just post another of the snow and how it looked yesterday.  It was 14 degrees before I headed upstairs so we are in for another cold night.  It is supposed to start warming up again as we get closer to the weekend. I think that we are all ready for it to be warmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment