Saturday, January 27, 2018

Saturday Doings



Tonight's photos feature the photo gallery that I put on our tree each year. The top picture has ornaments that I put on the tree the year that Erin and Alex were born.  The frame that Alex's is in has a story:  Melany was very sick and had  been diagnosed with Crohn's and had surgery in December when Erin was four and Alex was around four months.  They both stayed with us for quite a bit of time because in the four months since Alex's birth Melany had three surgeries...first a C-section when she had Alex and then about a month later she had gall bladder surgery and then in December she had surgery for her Crohn's. At the time of the C-Section I was at their house helping out for a couple of weeks and then for the other surgeries and her recovery time the children came here.  Busy times!  Woody's mother had also moved in with us at that time due to her dementia.  We were meeting ourselves coming and going.  I realized that I needed to put Alex's picture on the tree so hoped that I could find a frame ornament somewhere in Tullahoma...and I didn't really have time to look in many places.  WalMart was my main hope of finding one...and when I was coming down one of the aisles...there hanging on one of their end shelves was this frame...not what I would have chosen under most circumstances...but it worked and I kept his baby picture in it...a reminder of that busy time in our lives!  In the second picture hang our seven grandchildren who came after Erin and Alex!  The girls are on the left: Abigail in the frame with the gold bow, then Joy in the yellow frame and Esther in the green frame.  On the right Graham is at the top in a snowflake frame, then Elijah is in a gingerbread man photo ornament that I made, then Isaac is in a frame that used to be a magnet on the refrigerator, but works great for his ornament, and then Joseph is at the bottom of the boy column...a red mitten made by me.  It's fun to look at their baby pictures hanging on the tree...9 sweet memories!

Today Woody chose to walk to the library so that he would be sure to get his walk in before the rain got to us.  The rain held off here till just an hour or so ago.  I can hear it on the roof as I type this.  I stayed in and cleaned and cooked, again!  I got up and got busy and put a Boston Butt Pork roast in the oven.  I made a herb/spice rub for it and then roasted it in the oven for four hours...at that point it was ready to be pulled.  We had barbecue sandwiches for supper...pretty good.  I think that this was an easier way to cook the roast...I didn't have to cut it off the bone, stand over the pot skimming off fat for hours, etc.  I put the rub on it, let it sit at room temp for 30 minutes and then popped it in the oven and let it cook for four hours.  The only thing I had to do was check the temperature of the roast towards the end.  Then I let it sit for fifteen minutes and after that was able to do the pulling with two forks...and truth be told...my fingers worked even better than the forks!  Woody made slaw this afternoon...so now we have pulled pork, slaw, and Boston baked beans...and pea soup.  I didn't have enough cooking energy to make my potato soup...so still have that to go and then we should be set for several days of meals and I can sit back and only have to heat up whatever we choose to eat.  I organized some recipes on my iPad during part of the cooking time for the roast.  Then I came upstairs and put finishing touches on the Sunday School lesson that I will be teaching tomorrow...well, I still have a bit to do on it because I took some time out to talk to Melany on the phone while she and Wade were driving back home from seeing Wade's parents today.  Then I went down to have a sandwich...and now I am blogging...so in a few I will get back to the Sunday School lesson!  I have brought a few more branches up to the Christmas tree box...I think that there are two rows of branches missing on the tree now.  As soon as I blog I need to go get towels out of the dryer and get them folded and put away...then I will do the last touches to the lesson and get it printed out.  Woody has watched TV including sports of one kind or another, watched a DVD he checked out at the library, read, worked crossword puzzles, made slaw, washed a few dishes, etc. Seems like it has been another busy day for both of us!  And, I still have to say "slowly but surely!"

Today is an anniversary for Woody and me = 50 years ago today he asked me to marry him!  Wow! 50 years ago!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your engagement! I remember the day you were married like it was yesterday. I thought people who were married almost 50 years were old. Guess I was wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete