Thursday, May 3, 2018

Warm Thursday

Today I had a usual Thursday school day with the neighbor grandchildren except Abigail didn't come to read.  She was helping her parents take the leftovers from their yard sale to another yard sale for missions.  The women's mission group at our church is having a large yard sale at the local mall tomorrow and Saturday so they took what they didn't sell at their sale to that yard sale.  Works out well.

Joseph tried a new lesson of making words with an app on the iPad.  He liked that...easier to pick up that alphabet than the one he has to get the letters out...as he said, all he has to do to pick up those letters is to turn off the iPad! All my readers read on the front porch again. Elijah had his long time.  He had been patiently waiting for a warm day so he could make a rocket out of a 2-liter bottle...today was the day.  Out of five tries we had one successful launch.  It shot waaaaay up into the sky...higher than our house.  He had an audience for this experiment: Joy, Esther, Isaac, Joseph and me.  We were all pretty impressed when it finally shot off into the sky!  Our school year is winding down, I think only two more weeks of school, but I hope that I can do things (experiments, reading, etc.) with them off and on during the summer when they are at home.

Woody had another doctor appointment.  This time for a recheck of his blood work trying to see how it compares with the last time (I think).  Woody, again, spent quite a bit of time out in the yard.  He is attempting to rake out leaves that are up against the house in one of the gardens...lots of bushes for him to pull through and under to get them all out.  I sat on the front porch for a while and read and watched for birds...not as many came around today as yesterday. We did have robins, mocking bird, tufted titmouse, red breasted woodpecker, red-headed woodpecker, mourning doves, cardinals, and a couple more.  So I guess that we did have quite a few stop by our yard.  Isaac and I filled all the bird feeders this morning except for the goldfinch feeder.  I am out of their seed so Woody plans to get some for them tomorrow since they seem to be frequenting our yard.  I just love to see a flock of those pretty yellow birds come flying in and settle in the tree.  Yesterday as I looked up I realized that there were quite a few of them perched in the same tree...it was hard to distinguish them from the leaves when looking up into the tree...they blended in despite their bright yellow color.  I think that you can see how they blend in with tonight's blog photo.  Isaac and I even made hummingbird food this morning and filled the hummingbird feeder after it cooled.  I haven't seen any hummingbirds, but I have had friends say that they have seen them and I was told by Elijah that he thought that he saw a hovering bird in one of our gardens the other day...so we'll see if our feeder gets visited by hummers.

Woody headed off to Elijah's ball practice a little before five and hasn't returned yet.  Quite a warm evening for practice.  It's looking like there will be no more freezes this season...time to plant a few more things.  I'm ready to get my herb gardens growing once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment