Friday, October 25, 2019

A Day for Gathering

The neighbors (Nathan and Kathy and children) have done a bit of pumpkin carving with a carving kit that came in that box from Arizona.  This is the one that Nathan and Isaac carved.  Isaac told me that Nathan got a pattern from the Internet and used it to carve this one.

I have spent a good part of the day gathering up things that I will need tomorrow at Sew Super Saturday.  I am packing up our laundry basket with things to sew and notions that I will need to make these items.  My plans are to have some more Christmas sewing completed when I head home late tomorrow afternoon.  I have put together several "kits" that have all needed items in them to complete an item.  I have a sewing machine all packed up and ready to go.  This time I am taking my older machine that I use to teach the children how to sew.  I am taking that one instead of my newer one for a couple of reasons.  First it is lighter to carry and since Woody is using his walker most of the time these days it wouldn't be easy for him to lug the machine out to the car and then into the church where the event is held.  The other reason is that the place that the plug is inserted on my newer machine has a problem and I try to unplug it at the machine as little as possible.  I hope that I can get used to sewing on the old one again!  The newer one is a much smoother running machine, but the old one should be sufficient for the sewing tasks that I have planned for tomorrow.

Woody headed out to do our weekly grocery shopping fairly early.  The early hour let hm pretty much miss the hard, steady rain that came later.  It was just misting a little when he went so he kept pretty dry.  The rains set in during the time that he was out taking his friend on errands.  He mainly stays in the car and just drives from place for those errands.  He did get out at one of the grocery stores and get a couple more things that were on our list.  Other than that he probably stayed dry until he had to walk from the car to the house.  He has spent the time since coming back in his recliner in the family room either reading or watching TV.  Right now he is watching his Friday night news programs.

Well, I'm off to finish gathering sewing things for tomorrow.  I need to sit and think through all that I "might" need to do the sewing tasks that I want to do tomorrow.  I won't be able to just turn around and get something out of a cabinet or off a shelf in my sewing room.  It is amazing how many items one uses to complete just the simplest of sewing tasks—scissors (several kinds), pins, rulers, thread (many colors), needles (both machine and hand)...and the list goes on!  Speaking of lists...I haven't made one this year...I usually start a list early in the week and keep adding to it as I think of things that I will need.  I think that maybe I still have a list on my iPad that I guess I will check to see if I have forgotten anything too important.  I'm looking forward to a day totally dedicated to sewing, plus it will be fun to spend time with sewing friends that I don't see often...plus there is always good food and lots of laughter and it is fun to see what others are making.  They are all quilters and I don't consider myself a quilter as I only dabble in quilting once in a while, but it is good to see the beautiful things that they have made or are making.  Off to see if I can find last year's list of items to take!

No comments:

Post a Comment