Saturday, October 19, 2019

A This-And-That Day

We have both just done a little of this and a little of that today.  We've stayed at home except for trips to the mailbox and the trash can...nothing too exciting...like normal!  Woody did his crossword puzzles that he does daily.  He has read and watched some college football on TV.  I roasted a chicken as I got a Kroger bargain of the day yesterday...got it for 49¢ a pound because the sell-by date happened to be yesterday,  the day I was shopping, so I knew that I needed to go on and cook it.  Woody enjoyed a chicken and roasted red pepper with red pepper sauce pita sandwich for lunch.  Elijah came over and stuck his head in the kitchen door and asked what I was cooking.  When I told him, he wanted to know if I was already cooking Thanksgiving dinner!  I told him that we would need something a little larger than what I was cooking for everyone on Thanksgiving!  I'm sure that it smelled a bit like Thanksgiving since I roasted the chicken.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, that is something that got settled today.  We had to decide when we were going to have it this year and it looks like we are going to have it on "the real Thanksgiving" day.  In the years of late, we have usually had it on the Saturday after.   Woody was hoping that we could have it on Thanksgiving Thursday this year.  Melany said that their four-day weekend was open and Kathy and Nathan could do it any day but Friday.  So Woody will get his wish...as long as we continue with this plan!  We have already begun deciding what we will serve.  Normally we have a set menu for Thanksgiving, but due to Woody's restrictive diet we may make a few changes this year in the veggie and pie department. I'm looking forward to cooking Thanksgiving in my new kitchen!  I know last year as I was cooking Thanksgiving dinner, I kept thinking that it would be the last time cooking in that kitchen and that in 2019 I would be preparing our family turkey dinner in new surroundings.  Looks like that thought was correct...so glad that the renovation is behind us!

Melany has said that she wants to do Christmas at their new house and that sounds like fun to me!  I'll gladly go as guest rather than being the host!

This afternoon we had drop-in company for a short visit.  It's always good to get to visit with Linda and Doyle.  Nathan went to prison, again, today!  They did let him out after he did his juggling, etc. to help entertain the prisoners' families on visitation day. He drove our car and when he brought the key back for the car, he stayed and visited for a while, as the rest of his family were off gadding about. He ended up having some chicken gumbo with us for supper.  We're back to being just the two of us and settling back into a routinely quiet Saturday evening.






No comments:

Post a Comment