Monday, November 16, 2020

Pumpkin! Pumpkin! Pumpkin!

Today was the start to our Thanksgiving cooking...going to do it in stages over the next two weeks and enjoy it when items get made and not wait to feast on Thanksgiving Day. Two weeks of Thanksgiving...what could be better during a pandemic!?! I had hoped for a pumpkin pie today...but...all that got done was cooking of the two little pumpkins that I had...now I have about 8 cups of pureed pumpkin...several pies and maybe some pumpkin bread...time will tell. For the moment just one pie...I don't want to make multiple pies on the same day this year. This week a pumpkin pie and next week a pecan pie...perhaps! So far just the plan of Thanksgiving food nothing to partake in...yet! AFter I got Woody connected to his dialysis cycler for today's treatment, I headed off for a quick run to Walmart. I picked up some over-the-counter meds that I take and a power strip extension cord (for my old sewing machine in its new spot)and a couple of items that I forgot and/or didn't find at Kroger on Saturday. We got off a slow morning. I made up two pounds of breakfast sausage patties for Woody's breakfasts for a few weeks. I got them made in time for his breakfast and then flash froze the rest and they are all safely tucked away in the freezer for future breakfasts. Then I got the kitchen cleaned up. Of course, that cleaning didn't last...since the pumpkin mess entered in shortly after it got cleaned. Funny how a kitchen doesn't stay clean very long...at least it doesn't around here. Both cooking efforts made quite a mess. All is cleaned "for now" except for the pot that I steamed the pumpkin in That has been soaked and ready for some new hot dishwater. The pot and insert won't fit in tonight's dishwasher (too full of other things). At least it is in better shape than it was at two different times today. The pumpkin preparation for cooking is usually done by Woody so I'm not used to ALL that work...not an easy job. It took two trips to the compost pile. For a while I didn't think that I would have it all cut up and peeled before it got dark. I just barely made it before dark closed in on us tonight. It's getting dark around here a little after 4:30 these days...so early! And, we haven't gotten to the shortest day of the year yet...so it will get dark earlier and earlier for about another night before it reverses itself and we will start having a bit longer days. Woody has done his usual...crossword puzzles, a game of solitaire tucked in every so often, some TV, and some reading. Speaking of reading, the public library called saying that they had two books that I had requested so I stopped and got them and dropped off the last ones that we got from them. They were for Woody so he has two new books to enjoy. Be safe!Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment