Monday, December 28, 2020

A Technolgy-Challenging Day

Nathan showed up on our doorstep around 7:30 this morning bearing a box with a new TV (I think I mentioned Saturday that our TV went out on Christmas Eve.) Nathan attempted to fix it yesterday morning, but to no avail. One of the challenges to buy a new one: due to the explosion in Nashville, Walmart was having to do "cash only" purchases. We "might" have been able to scrape together enough cash, but we had dispersed most of ours between grandchildren for Christmas gifts. We are probably among the few who continue to deal with cash, but in this instance it wasn't going to happen. Anyway, Nathan checked online and we could make purchases that way. There weren't many TV's to choose from due to holiday buying and due to the size that we wanted. We chose between the two that fit our bill and they could take a card online so I paid for it that way. Nathan arranged to pick it up between 7 and 8 am and he said that it was a very easy pick-up. The TV wasn't too much of a problem to get up and going...though we are going to have to learn a new "system" and the remote has very few buttons on it...probably a good thing...and so far Woody seems to be getting to the channels he wants without much problem. Besides making purchases with cash in stores, we still hold out on cable, etc. We use an antenna...which this TV accepts...but it also runs some programming through our internet. I can even get some of the programming on my new iPad. The next thing that I needed Nathan to do technology wise was get our Alexa echo dots running through my iPad. I had set up the one in my room, but Woody was a bit hesitant for me to work on the his downstairs because "she" is also connected to one of our lamps and he needs that to turn the lamp on and off after he gets into bed and also to turn it on in the middle of the night if needed. After seeing Nathan's struggles with getting the lamp set back up I am glad that I didn't attempt it last night. The only thing that we lacked last night was the "intercom" capability of Alexa. I heard Woody trying to convince Alexa to "drop in on me" last night so knew that it was time to go downstairs and disconnect him! So we managed to communicate without Alexa's help! Nathan finally did convince Woody's Alexa to "turn on the lamp" and all was well. Nathan also attempted to attach a device to a little old TV that I have in the sewing room that I run DVDs on...that still hasn't cooperated with me...but I haven't been in here trying to watch anything so it isn't a problem...and, I "think" I can recommect the DVD player "if" I don't get this up and running. Oh, and the other thing that Nathan got working was getting my new iPad "talking" with my stove (imagine!) so I can tell it to turn the ovens on and off and change temperatures, etc. from upstairs...or I can just talk to Alexa when I am in the kitchen and perhaps my hands are dirty and tell her to start the oven and set the temperature. Interesting technology! And, Woody once again has something to entertain him while he sits connected to the dialysis machine for hours and hours! All is well here. I think that we are coming down from our holiday activities. Even though ours were very low-key they still change routine. I guess we are gradually moving back into routine, though with dialysis we can't move from routine very much...holiday or not! We have had more sad Covid news. A young man (54 he is young to us as he is just a little older than Melany)woke up feeling sick on Christmas morning with Covid symptoms and less than 48 hours later he died. And, he was healthy as far as anyone knew prior to getting Covid. Covid is not to be taken lightly! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! And, for a tad bit longer 'tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment