Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas Pleasures: Being Surprised by Kindnesses

This morning I opened the front door to go out to get yesterday's mail as I quit checking if it had come around 5:30 last night. And, what met me on the front porch...three packages...must be Christmas. Two of them happened to be generated by his kidney care group...a prescription and some more of the renal protein drink supplements that I use to make his strawberry shakes. Not too exciting upon discovering what was inside. BUT the third was from a young lady who grew up in our church. She once upon a time babysat for Melany and Nathan and one year when Melany went to camp we found her there in Melany's cabin quad as one of the counselors. The other counselors were so excited when they found out that Melany was from Tullahoma that they started calling for Linette to come meet us...well, none of us needed introductions! It was a fun surprise for Melany's camp experience. When Linette and Stan married I cross stitched them some oraments to hang on their future Christmas trees...and they were hung again this year. Linette thanks me so sweetly each year for them. We have stayed in touch through Facebook and Facebook Messenger. She is a registered nurse and has followed Woody and his treatments over the years. One time she commented when I had posted a barn photo that she likes to take pictures of water towers. Since learning that, I try to snap a picture or two of water towers when we are on our barn trips and then post them to her via social media. We had recently "talked" and she knew about Woody starting on dialysis and I had shared things that were going on in our lives. She always has wise advice for me and shows interest in what is going on health-wise with Woody. Today's unexpected gift in the mail definitely lifted my spirits. Note that it fits right in with the barn theme in our kitchen. I made it a part of a grouping on my rolling cart...Linette's barn platter, Rachel's living pine that she sent last week, and Melany's paper lantern that she made when the kitchen was finished last year. Three happies! Today was sourdough roll making day. I started them late morning and they were through the first rising before it was time for me to connect Woody for his morning dialysis. I got them shaped while I was waiting for his dialysis solution to warm and then connected Woody a bit early today as I had a haircut appointment. Before he got connected he spent a little time sitting on the front porch...this may be the last day for a while that it will be nice enough to sit outside like that. On my way home from my haircut, I stopped at the pharmacy to pick up some of my prescriptions. I got a surprise that they were a lot less expensive than I expected...a nice surprise...these days! I was glad that they ran out when they did so I could fill them before the new year begins and the insurance deductable starts all over again. The rolls had really risen a lot by the time I got home. I popped them in the oven and started getting the kitchen mess cleaned up. When they were out of the oven I texted Nathan and Kathy and told them that if they were out and about that I had some rolls that they might like to add to a holiday meal this week. I didn't have to beg them very hard to have them come pick them up...another porch pick up! If they hadn't responded quickly I was going to tell them that if they didn't come pretty soon that there might not be two dozen when they did get them! I have trouble resisting rolls right out of the oven...but this time I managed and they picked them up soon enough that I didn't get too tempted! Woody is well into his dialysis treatment...on the 4th cycle by now. The least amount of time that the daily treatments can take is 8 hours...but not all the parts of the cycle are on a timer and some can take a longer or shorter time each treatment...each cycle really. The last couple of nights the treatments have been shorter...lest night's was under 8-and-a-half hours...can't get much shorter than that. Still a long time when you think about it! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment