Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Christmas Pleasures: Christmas Goodies

Before the goody making came some hard work by Woody. He decided to go outside and work in one of the front flower gardens. He clipped away dead stalks, etc. He was outside a long time and when he came in he was ready for his recliner to be reclined! While he was in the garden I started making one of the treats that I was wanting to have over these days of holidays...a cheese spread and some fudge. Both recipes date waaaaaaay back to our early marriage years. The fudge is the easy Fantasy Fudge that is on the label of marshmallow creme...but it has changed over the years...I made our fudge from what was the original recipe for me fifty or so years ago. The cheese spread is a recipe that I got out of either Woman's Day or Family Circle Magazine...again, many years ago. It is really meant to be a cheese ring or a cheese ball, but I chose to make it and not shape it...just put it in a crock and use it as a spread. This recipe suggests spreading the cheese on a cracker and then spreading some strawberry jam on that...very good! Melany and family gave us an advent callendar of little jars of jams and jellies. I have been enjoying them on my sourdough English muffins, but decided that I would also like them with this cheese spread. I have sampled a little of the cheese and it is good, but will be even better once the flavors meld together. I haven't cut the fudge yet so haven't had a piece of that yet...but I will admit to scraping the pan...and that pretty much satisfied my craving for Christmas fudge! The day continued to be a time of connecting with friends...some stopped by and others I talked with on the phone. I had my weekly "library " chat with Donna. We missed our chat last week, though we did message back and forth with each other, because of Woody's unexpected trip to the dermatologist. We are both going to celebrate Christmas sheltered at home as couples and won't be getting together with our children or grandchildren. Ruth stopped by this morning and we visited for a few minutes outside. Marie stopped by this evening and we visited for a short time in the living room. Both visits were masked visits. My other "job" of the day beside goody making was catching up on laundry. My third load is in the drier...and I'm tired. Thankfully I got the kitchen cleaned up before coming up to blog...so my "work" is done for tonight. I will go down and stop my drier and see if everything is dry...maybe I'll get this last load out and maybe I won't...not sure that I am up to putting another load away! My only other "have-to" for tonight is getting Woody disconnected around 10pm. My recliner is calling my name along with my needlepoint. I will do that and rest till it is time for Woody's dialysis to be over. Merry Christmas Eve Eve! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! 'Tis the season! By the way...another friend we know very well tested positive for Covid 19. His initial symptoms were thought to be heart problems so he got to the ER quickly...found out he was covid positive and heart doctor checked him and found it was not his heart. He was given one of the antibodies to keep symptoms at a minimum and sent home...he is doing well last we heard. Woody is waiting for him to call him back as Woody called today and had to leave a message. Woody is this friend's deacon. That's two out of Woody's deacon family care group who have had it...one doing well and one didn't make it...not the best of percentages! Wade's mother continues to be doing well also with only slight symptoms. Wade and Melany get updates both from her and from the assissted living nurse.

No comments:

Post a Comment