Monday, December 21, 2020

Christmas Pleasures: Downtime

It is wonderful when I find that I have downtime in the days just drawing near to Christmas. And, definitely this year we have lots of downtime! I have had more time to read, to do some Christmas stitching that isn't designated for a gift, and even extra time to clean. Today cleaning in the kitchen filled a lot of my downtime. I leisurely cleaned surfaces, as well as filters in the hood and in the dishwasher, wiped off the outside of appliances and the inside of the microwave. It was nice to do it and not have to move on to something else to do for some festivity or another. Nathan dropped off on the front porch our Christmas gifts and I sent a couple off to their house. I have put them under the tree. Some of their yummy baking was included...nice to have some Christmas nibbles. I got a call from my friend Jo that she was in the area and she dropped off something (more Christmas treats!) and she picked up something from me. Lots of "give and take" today! She and I did sit at opposite ends of the porch and talk for a few minutes...nice to get to catch up and also to get some fresh air! It was great that it was pleasant enough for us to visit outside...masked and socially distanced! Covid is still high on everyone's minds here and around the world. Yesterday I woke up to two texts on my phone...both telling me about Covid patients. Melany texted me that Wade's mother has tested positive with Covid. She lives in an assissted living. At that point she did not have any symptoms, they had tested her because someone on her hall has it.They test often in their facility so probably caught hers early. Today she was running a low fever and she was a little hoarse. We hated hearing about her being positive and that a former church nursery worker was now on a ventilator, but the sadest news came later in the afternoon when we learned that a friend who was in Woody's Deacon family had passed away due to complications from Covid. We have heard of many deaths during this pandemic and some of the deaths happened in people we know families...but this is the first time that we personally know the person who died. It just keeps getting closer and closer. We also got news of some we know who with Covid are recovering and got to come out of the hospital over the weekend...so the news isn't all bad but still pretty devistating. The TN governor has said no gatherings over ten except for churches...that's pretty limiting and I think that the ruling should have been made earlier in December as people have already made plans for their Christmas gatherings...some already traveling. I keep thinking that if we give up some family time this year that hopefully next year we will be able to gather as families once again. I guess time will tell! Woody has had a usual quiet day...reading, crossword and other word puzzle solving, watching TV and his daily dialysis. Woody is enjoying the soup that I made yesterday that he hadn't had for a couple of years due to it having tomatoes in it and he also enjoyed the treats that were left today...again most of what he couldn't have last year at this time. As I mentioned, I really cleaned up the kitchen this morning and then...I made Woody's breakfast sausage...ummmmm not the smartest to have cleaned the surface next to the stove top this morning...now I have to go clean it and the stove top once again...but he has a good supply of breakfast sausage for a while! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment