Wednesday, May 19, 2021

49 Years Ago in the Wee Hours of the Morning

Lately things never seem to go as planned...or so it seems. We had planned to go to Nathan and Kathy's for ice cream and cake this morning, but Woody was moving pretty slow and didn't feel like he needed to move farther from his recliner than necessary. So we were unpartiers. I talked to Nathan for a few minutes on the phone to wish hi a happy birthday and tell him that there was a gift we would get to him eventually...or he could stop by and get it! I will say that I am feeling a lot better than I was 49 years ago. I was pretty sick...reason that I was entered into the hospital on the 18th...had a severe kidney infection and was running a 105° temperature. Nathan wasn't due for three more weeks, but in the middle of the night, he deciced it was too hot in the oven and decided to arrive very quickly...neither the doctor nor Woody made it to the hospital before he was born and they were probably less than 20 minutes away from the hospital. The nurses rapidly got me into a delivery room and grabbed a doctor who had just delivered a baby to catch Nathan. He was a very speedy delivery! Nathan was considered immature...not premature...but they kept him in the preemie nursery for six days due to the fact that I was sick when I delivered him. I was dismissed from the hospital before he was because once I had him and got the IV antibiotics I improved rapidly. Things were very different "back then" about babies in neonatal care...all we got to do was look at him through the nursery window. I never touched him till he was discharged from the hospital when he was 6 days old. Once I was discharged from the hospital probably when he was three or four days old, then we went back to see him through the window once a day after Woody got home from work. He was more than 5 lbs...but just skin and bones...he didn't have those last weeks to put on fat before he was bor n! But he gained rapidly and didn't stay skin and bones for too long. He was only 18" long amd those of you who have seen him in person know that he didn't stay "short" very long! Anyway...happy birthday, Nathan. Since we didn't end up going anywhere today...I had cancelled with Donna our weekly library work time due to the party and didn't know in time that we weren't going to the party to reschedule. So I did a little of this and a little of that around the house and then settled into my chair and worked on my sampler. I now have all the areas framed in on the sampler and all the boxes filled in except for the hearts in the corners and the house in the middle...time to start on the house. I have also looked at the pattern that I want to use to make me what I am going to wear to Alex and Brooke's wedding...quite a simple pattern...just have to get up the oomph to get really started with it. I did also work on fixing a top that Melany brought that had a problem with the armhole binding. I have it part way back on, but ran into trouble...so am having to do some picking out of machine stitches that I put in...wonder how many tries this will take...slinky, stretchy fabric. As I am working on this, I am thankful that I am not the sewing line worker that has to put this onto shirt armholes all day long! Not an easy task! Woody has mainly sat in his chair today and has watched TV and read. I know that he is glad to have the reading material that he checked out of the public library Saturday. I made our monthly order for Woody's dialysis supplies this morning...that rolls around all too quickly! Tomorrow he has his monthly appointment at Fresenius Kidney Center. This time he sees all his kidney team: nurse, dietician, social worker and Dr. O. Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment