Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Fun and Games at the ER

Tonight's photos may be all mixed up...I wanted the sampler first. But don't have patience or where with all to get them in the order I want. The photos show that the sampler is complete and ready to frame...whenever that may happen. Now for today's tale...it has been a long and eventful day. Last night around midnight, we realized that Woody had a problem and began to wonder several hours later if it happened to be due to the dialysis...and it was. The dialysis solution didn't stay in the peratonium...but leaked into other parts of his body. I ended up calling the 24/7 dialysis help line to figure out how to get the machine to stop in the middle of one of the drain cycles. The machine was giving alarms and the draining just wasn't happening. We were told how to shut down the machine and also to call our Fresenius center at 8am. Woody started to head to the car a little after 8, while I was still attempting to call our kidney care nurse. Woody figured that we would either be going to the kidney center or to the ER. When I finally got the nurse, he did say that we needed to go on to the hospita and that he would alert Dr. O. to the problem. We got to the ER at 8:20...and didn't leave till 5:20. And, in that time frame Woody had surgery to put in a line for hemodialysis (dialysis that cleanses the blood). The surgery part happened in the last two hours...the other hours we just hung out in the ER. Nathan came to the hospital near the end of our time there and helped us get Woody home and into the house. He now has a line that is in his upper right chest area. Again, we don't know much...I guess we will be filled in when we go to the center to have Woody's first hemodialysis. Woody's kidney nurse called and asked that we call when we got home so he could schedule his first dialysis, but we didn't get home till after the clinic closed so I will call first thing in the morning. My head is sort of swimming and I will admit that I am rather tired after our long day of waiting. I was and am so thankful for e-books on my iPad. I was almost finished with a book and finished it quickly after I got there. I had several sitting there all ready to check out so I didn't lack reading material. Woody didn't read as he doesn't like to read with a mask on as it fogs up his reading glasses. He was very ready for the nurses to wheel him off to surgery when they finally showed up! He is a little sore tonight...it hurts him to cough. Now to give you a little baseball/Little League news. Elijah's coach's have chosen him for the Sportsmanship award for their team. This is the fourth time that Elijah has been awarded this award...all four years that he has played. Each time he was playing on a different team and under a different coach. Woody got tickled when he got to thinking that getting it four years and not sharing this award wasn't very sportmanship-like of Elijah as he didn't share the honor with others!!!!! We are very proud of the way Elijah conducts himself on the field and off and love that his coach's see the same qualities that we see in Elijah! Way to go, Elijah! Well, I guess I had better go see if my patient is finally ready for a protein shake after his ordeal of a day...and, by the way, it was NOT fun and games in the ER...such a slow and inefficient manner of handling patients. I will say that part of our long stay was that they had to wait 8 hours after Woody ate breakfast...so that was part of our long time in the ER. Dr. O. requested that Woody be allowed to stay in ER till time for surgery...but he ended up waiting 9-1/2 hours after he ate before he was taken back. He was tested for Covid again today...won't it be good once they don't have to do that in the hospital before a procedure! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious! Just think...a night off from dialysis...which means, I'm sure, that he will be starting hemodialysis soon. Hemodialysis only takes placr three days a week. New routine for us is approaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment