Thursday, May 20, 2021

Doctor Day...Again

It seems like all we do is go to one doctor or another these days...lately we have been averaging about two doctor visits a week. I think that next week may be an "off week!" No appointments sounds good to us! Today was his monthly visit at Fresenius Medical Center when he sees most of his "team." One of the things that we have to figure out is managing his phosphorus levels. When he started dialysis his phosphorus levels were quite good as we had been watching them for 2-1/2 years with the diet that kept him off dialysis for a period of time. Most new dialysis patients have to learn all about phosphorus and potassium, etc. but because we had been watching and keeping those low, we didnt have to worrybabout them. And when his protein level was low it was okay to add high protein things into his diet which weren't low in phosphorus and potassium. I figured that change in diet wouod catch up with us...and, the last couple of labs show that his phosphorus levels had started climbing. When that happens and when they want him to eat high protein, then they add a pill that is called a phosphorus binder which he takes prior to his meals. That was supposed to be added to his medications and phoned in to our pharmacy, but it hadn't been phoned in prior to the pharmacy closing tonight...guess I will be checking with the nurse at the clinic tomorrow. I ran around looking for a cream that Dr. O wanted Woody to try to see if it would help the pain thwt Woody had been having. I have come to the conclusion that said cream has been pulled from the shelves as it is not to be found in the three pharmacy depts. that checked today. When I got online, there was something about why it isn't on shelves...so guess that was a bit of a wild goose chase! One of the pharmacists at our pharmacy did help me to find a cream that had the right ingredient in it. So I guess I was finally partially successful in my search. Woody said that it had helped...so perhaps a little more than partially successful! Speaking of creams...I think that the rash on my legs is responding to this new ointment...at least the rash isn't getting worse and it seems to be fading some...and it still isn't itching...both of which is very good to my way of thinking...just want to be rid of this mess...it has hung around long enough! I am now just taking 1/2 a prednisone pill each day for the next 5 days...just hooing that it doesn't come back when I am totally finished with taking them. But I am so ready to stop taking them. Woody continues to enjoy the soup that I made "for me" the other day. It's good to find something that he actually enjoys eating for a change. After galavanting around today, I am very ready to settle into my recliner and do some stitching or reading...I've gotten back into reading again and have finished several books in the last week. I'm way off my goal of a book a week at this point in the year...but might get caught back up...but I read so much over the last 1-1/2 years that I have given myself permission to slack off a little with the reading and do more stitching and sewing. Here is where I was yesterday with my sampler...I have started working on the house in the large rectangle now. What I have discovered about this sampler...that it is very brown! Many shades of brown lay on the tray next to my chair...I think that I will be ready to stitch something more colorful when I finish this. Well, about time to go set up Woody's dialysis treatment for tonight...then I can stitch...well, after I do a little more in the kitchen. Be safe! Be well! Be cautious!

No comments:

Post a Comment