Tuesday, February 15, 2022

At the End of the Day I Often Wonder…

At the end of most days I wonder just exactly what have I done during the day and why I didn't have enough energy to do more. I go to bed thinking of what I will accomplish the next day...and, rarely do I accomplish much of any of what I planned the night before. So I tried today to remember just what I had done (doubt that I remember all...but I did see why perhaps I am sometimes just too tired to do anything beyond just what HAS to be done! Lately I have been settingnthe alarm for 7 and a second one for 7:15 so hopefully I will get up by 7:30! I am not really a morning person. I am definitely a night owl which makes rising in the morning not my favorite thing! One of the first things I do while still snuggled into my recliner (my bed now for many years), I reach for my iPad to turn it on so I can print out Woody's two crossword puzzles. Then I usually glance quickly at email. When I finally throw aside my covers, I head for the printed out puzzles to take down to Woody...these puzzles he anticipates each day...looking forward to them. I hand him the puzzles, a pencil, his glasses, and his clipboard. Then I check to see if his dialysis treatment is finished. Today it wasn't so I headed to the kitchen to make sausage patties. We ran out of Woody's breakfast sausage yesterday so last night I put the ingredients together all ready to cook them this morning. So I made two pounds of sausage into patties and cooked them. Once they drained I put them on a cookie sheet and put them into the freezer to freeze so I could put them into a freezer bag to store in freezer...ready for me to slip out one or two each morning for his breakfast. Before the sausage was all cooked, Woody's treatment was finished so I got him disconnected. Once he is disconnected, he makes his way from the couch to his recliner and I head back to the kitchen to finish the sausage and start scrambling his eggs. I got his breakfast in front of him on his TV tray and I headed back to think about what I might want for breakfast. Today I decided that I wanted a fried egg. I got my egg on a plate and about the time I ate one bite, Woody started coughing and that triggered him not being able to keep his breakfast down...quicker than it went down it came up. I try to have a towel near him just for these moments, but today he didn't have one because I had just washed towels and hadn't put one back next to his chair. But I managed to get him a towel...pretty much in time. Of course then there was a mess to clean up...the towel, his sweater...So got all that done and a load of wash going. And, I guess, at that point, I was able to finish my breakfast! Woody decided that he wanted to wash his hair today so I gathered what he needed and left him to accomplish that task...I was close enough that I could assist if he needed me. In the meantime, I needed to start lunch as he decided that he was ready to have ham stuffed potatoes today for lunch. I got the potatoes washed, pricked and into the oven to bake. I may have at this point sat for a couple of minutes as I needed to send a couple of friends the obituary of a friend from church who died on Sunday. Then I needed to get the ingredients prepped that go into the ham stuffed potatoes. When the ootatoes were baked, I scooped out the potatoes and mixed potato with the other ingredients and then stuffed them and popped them back in the oven to cook a little longer. At that point, it was time to do Woody's manual drain. It takes 30-40 minutes for the last solution that is put in at the end of his dialysis each treatment. While that was draining, I went upstairs to take a quick shower and get dressed (by this time it is almost noon and I had a one o'clock appointment to get my hair cut. I got back downstairs...disconnected him from the manuak drain. Put his Ham Stuffed Potato on a plate and it was time for me to leave! I got back a little after 2 and ate my ham stuffed potato. I wasn't starving as I had nibbled as I put the potatoes together! I know that around 3pm I went upstairs and rested for a while...at some point my eyes did close, but not for long. I then gathered all the wastebaskets together to empty them into the kitchen trash bag and gathered up recycle items...Thank goodness I had knocked down most of the cardboard boxes from dialysis supplies a day or so ago...I only had to knock down 3. Then it was get all those boxes out to curb...it took 4 or 5 trips out to get everything out there...lots of boxes this week since it was a delivery week. We empty a box every day so there are always quite a few, but this week even more. By the time I wrestled all those things out to the curb, I was ready for another rest. I thought that I would stitch and did a little, but my eyes closed shortly for a little while longer...till it was time to make Woody's supper protein shake. I ate and then cleaned up the kitchen, including mopping the floor (as I had been meaning to do that task for several days), then sat down to write this...and NOW it is time to get tonight's dialysis set up. And, writing all this down makes me realize why I have a back ache AND haven't gotten much else done today! Be safe! Be well! Be cautious. (Our free covid tests arrived today...hope we don't have to use them!)jJust remembered, I also changed he dressing on melanoma tumor this morning. I knew I wasn't remembering everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment